Sunday 29 May 2011

Guess who's back? Sridevi in English Vinglish

Guess who's back after 14 years? 

Subhash K Jha Date: 2011-05-29 

Sridevi, who returns to the screen with Gauri Shinde's English Vinglish, tells Sunday MiD DAY what it's like to face the camera after 14 years and work with a woman director - a first in her career Sridevi, who was meant to make a comeback with Mr India 2, will instead return to the screen with Gauri Shinde's English Vinglish, after a hiatus of 14 years. 

Work on the film will begin on July 7. Shinde, ad man Balki's wife, will be Sridevi's first woman director. 

A chat with the diva about her return: 

What prompted you to do a film after a 14-year gap? 
Sridevi: The credit goes to the script and my director. When I heard the script, I fell in love with it. I hope it turns out well. 

Have the preparations begun? 
Yes! We've already started working on costumes and the look -- we've selected the sarees. 

Gauri Shinde will be your first woman director. 
That's true. I've never worked with a woman director before. When I met her there was so much positive energy between us.

You're famous for giving great performances in a number of awful films. 
(Laughs) I did what I had to do. I'm a director's actor and I just do my work honestly, enjoying what I've done. 

Did you miss the film industry while you were away? 
No, I loved spending time at home, raising my children. Besides, being a producer's wife, how can I ever be away from the industry? I never felt disconnected.

Why are you looking so thin these days? 
Is that a bad thing? I want to be slim and healthy. Am I looking too thin? My daughters are very health-conscious. I'm succeeding in making Boney (Kapoor, her husband) eat healthy too.

Judaai was the last time you faced the camera. 
Yes. It's been a while since I faced the camera. I'm nervous and excited. My children and husband are excited about the comeback.

Do you want to keep your daughters away from Bollywood, since it's a hard life? 
No matter which profession you are in, you have to slog. Nothing comes easy.

Cut to 2004 Meri Biwi ka Jawaab Nahin was released in 2004. In the film, Sridevi fights her husband Akshay Kumar's evil boss. The immensely forgettable film was made in the '90s but was released later. The 1997 Judaai was the last film for which Sridevi shot. 

 News from Mid Day.

3 comments:

  1. Most eagerly awaited film, performance .. All the Very Best..for your comeback ..

    Saurabh Bhakri (Delhi)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Original Diva of Bollywood is roaring again. Beware of her acting prowess and stardom power all the ordinary actresses in Bollywood.

    ReplyDelete