Saturday 7 May 2011

K. Balachander, 'Sridevi was a very intelligent, quick learner'



K. Balachander, 80, winner of this year's Dadasaheb Phalke award, on his discovery Sridevi.

"...Sridevi when she did my film was just 13-14; she was just a kid. In our society, don't we as adults vent our anger at our children when they do something wrong? I might have lost my temper on my stars, but there are no regrets. Nobody ever carried any grudges home. They are all like children...


As far as Sridevi is concerned, she was a child when she first worked with me. But I found her to be very intelligent. Though she was 13-14, she had the understanding of a 20-year-old. She was a very quick learner and understood the nuances of her character. She learnt on the spot.”

Read the entire interview at The Hindu.
May 6, 2011


UPDATE: 
Sridevi tweeted after the director passed away at the age of 84;

 "Balachander sir passes away, the legend lives in hearts of millions of filmgoers. Artists whose lives he enriched by casting & mentoring us. His films were bold & so were his decisions. One day he decided to cast a child artist as a heroine. MOONDRU MUDICHU changed my life forever. Tamil Cinema & all people involved in it including me have grown in his shadow. Condolences to his family. He shall always live in our heart."

Jan 16, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment