Thursday 12 January 2012

Laadla Remake in the Making: Mugdha Godse to takeover the role of Sridevi

Mugdha Godse, Mumbai's model turned actress is reportedly thrilled about the a remake of Laadla (1994) that had Anil Kapoor, Sridevi and Raveena Tandon in lead roles. 

"I am playing Sridevi`s role in the remake. It`s going to be very challenging and I am really looking forward to it," she said. As much praise as Godse got for her brief role in Fashion, its nothing compared to the vast amount of accolades legendary actress Sridevi garnered in the original film. 

Laadla's Marathi version is being remade by Nitin Manmohan Desai. The announcement comes close on the heels of news of Ramesh Sippy’s Sholay (1975) being remade in the language. Mugdha, who will be seen stepping into the shoes of Sridevi, says, “We plan to have a lavni dance (traditional Marathi folk dance) in the remake. I am already practicing for it.” 

Excited about playing the role, Mugdha says, “It’s a privilege and responsibility to play Sridevi’s role because I am a big fan. I loved her in Sadma (1983), Chaalbaaz (1989) and Chandni (1989). She looks so pretty till date.” She adds, “Her character Sheetal Jetley in Laadla had shades of grey, and yet I couldn’t make myself hate her. To play a negative role and yet have the audience sympathise with you is an achievement.” 

The actor, who was last seen in Fashion (2008), says, “Nitin Desai was already planning to make this film. He heard my Marathi during the making of his production Gali Gali… and decided to cast me. The film will be based in the present day.” 

Mugdha informs the film will have a lot of dance, drama and fight sequences. She adds, “Marathi actor Nitin Purandhare, who also happens to be a dear friend, will play Anil Kapoor’s role, though I’m not sure who is being cast for Raveena’s part yet. We are still figuring out a name for the film.” 

From Rediff.com

You are doing the Marathi remake of Laadla where you will play the character Sridevi did. 
Mugdha Godse:  Yes, it's going to be a special movie and I am really excited about it. Producer Nitin Desai is making the film in Marathi. When he heard me speaking Marathi during the making of his production Gali Gali Chor Hai, he decided to cast me. Sridevi has done it so beautifully. It's a challenging role as it has a lot of different shades. I am a big fan of Sridevi and it's a privilege to play her role. I loved her in Sadma, Chaal Baaz, Chandni and Laadla. It is going to be tough but I am ready for the challenge.

Are you going to take any cues from Sridevi's character? 
I don't want to copy her. I have seen the film many times. After I knew that I was a part of the Marathi remake, I watched it twice. Actually, Laadla is a remake of a Kannada film and I am planning to watch that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment