Monday 26 August 2013

Amar Singh with Sridevi


Self-exiled, former Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh, laid low by controversy and ill health, has been fiercely keeping away from the charmed circles for several years now. So naturally, when he suddenly emerged out of the woodwork to throw a party for actor Sridevi on her birthday on August 17, there was a huge turnout of curious guests, whose many queries about the Bachchans and about politics Singh just shrugged off.


One didn't know about all your health complexities... still, where were you for so long?
I decided to stay away from the limelight. It was a conscious decision. I had a great run from 1996 to 2009. I had many friends. After 2009, the fairweather friends got filtered out. But from the film industry, Sridevi and her husband Boney remained in frequent touch.

Amar Singh with Sridevi in New Delhi, 2012
One day, she told me that she wanted me to see her comeback film English Vinglish. Initially I didn't think much of the film because comeback films of most senior stars haven't been exciting. But she came to Delhi with the print. Out of sheer respect for her, I saw the film. After the film ended, I was choked with emotion. I then had a small party. When she got the Padmashri, I felt she deserved a big, nice celebration.

Are you going to host more parties, like you often did in the past?
This one was just an emotional outburst. I don't have to do anything to prove myself. I am not an insatiable socialite. I have seen everything - success, failure, disappointment and treachery. Frankly, I am a disillusioned man. But let me add about the recent party that it was a celebration of Sridevi's loyalty and friendship with me, not a celebration of her alone. This woman did not change with time in my rainy days.

You did a few films, here and there. Any more acting aspirations?
I grew up watching Dev Anand and Shammi Kapoor's movies. I never liked most of Amitabh's movies, except Hrishikesh Mukherji's Alaap. With both Dev and Shammi gone, I don't think I have any desire left to act, except maybe if and when Sridevi and Jaya Prada (his other loyal friend) offer a film to me.



More at TOI

+
 

No comments:

Post a Comment