Thursday 11 November 2010

Good Housekeeping: Sridevi: Cover Story: Nov 2010: Sridevi's first cover with Janhvi Kapoor and Khushi Kapoor


















November 2010, Sridevi on the cover of Good Housekeeping. Original shots of Sridevi with her family, shot by Dabboo Ratnani - as he did last time around in 2007, for the same magazine. Fabulous family portraits. Sridevi looks too good and so does her gorgeous family.



CREDITS:

Photographs by Dabboo Ratnani
Concept, Sourcing and Styling by Hina Oomer
Assisted by Sonam Poladia
Makeup by Mallika Bhat
Hair by Susan Emmanuel
Clothes, Sridevi's own

Sridevi


A diva & a mother


"What I missed out in my life, I am now experiencing through my children. I have no regrets!" says Sridevi, iconic star, parent and homemaker...

By Minakshi S Desai.

Sridevi enters the vanity van dressed in a simple grey track suit; dark shades covering her big expressive eyes. Unassuming and polite, she settles into the makeup chair. There's a flurry of activity as her retinue of maids, managers and assistants bring in her clothes, shoes and other paraphernalia. Considerate to a fault, she ensures that enough chicken biryani is ordered for her entourage and the shoot members. A mixture of child-like innocence, a seductive wide-eyed look and an alabaster complexion is what best described Sridevi at the peak of her career. As she sits in front of the mirror, I see that not much has changed, save for a dignified maturity that she wears well.


A star was born...


Sridevi was just four when she made her acting debut in a Tamil film Kandan Karunai (1967), and was a star before she was 10, working 2-3 shifts a day! "My heavy work schedule made it difficult for me to attend regular school and I had to leave it in the first grade. My father, a lawyer, arranged for a home tutor who accompanied me even on shoots," she says, speaking slowly, weighing each word, as she collects her thoughts. (Her speech is clear, her diction perfect). By the seventh grade, she had to drop out of studies as the work schedule made it difficult for her to cope. In spite of her constant exposure to the limelight, a strong sense of family kept her grounded. She acted in many Tamil and Malayalam movies; some of her best ones being Aalinganam, Kuttavum Sikshaiyum and Aa Nimisham. Her break-through in Tamil movies came when she got lead roles opposite Kamal Haasan and Rajinikanth.

Her foray into the Hindi film industry began with Julie (1975) where she had a minor role (that of the heroine's sister) and then Solva Saawan (1978) which did not do well at the box office. Himmatwala, (1983) her second movie as a lead heroine opposite Jeetendra, however was a super hit, and started her spectacular rise to stardom.

Some memorable roles


While Himmatwala brought her fame, it was her iconic performance in the movie Sadma opposite Kamal Haasan that proved her mettle as a serious actor. "I always relied on hard work, to try and give my best in whatever I did. I never had, or believed in godfathers. Whatever I have achieved as an actor is due to my directors," she says. The role as Reshma [*correction its Reshmi!], a young girl who suffers a head injury in a car accident, loses her memory, regressing to the mental capabilities of a six-year-old, is a landmark in Indian cinema. The viewers were left dry-eyed at the heart-rending performances of the lead protagonists. Another path-breaking role is that of Pooja in Lamhe opposite Anil Kapoor. A film, way before its time, it did not do well at the box-office as the subject was considered bold. But Sridevi's role as a lovelorn teenager who was in love with a much older man proved herself as an actress once again.


She is one actor who got more than her share of "female-centric" roles. Today, more often than not, heroines have more of an ornamental role in films where their role is confined playing the love interest for the hero. Few heroines are fortunate enough to bag the roles Sridevi did in her time. "Today, heroes dominate the film industry," says husband Boney Kapoor, adding, "There are few filmmakers who dare to make female-oriented films."

Committed in all that she does...


The actor does feel that she gave up something special when she had to quit her studies for films. "Yes, I did miss out on school and college life... but God gifted me this talent. It has something I chose to do. My parents never forced me to act. I could not have done justice to my career if I had tried to do both. I have no regrets," she smiles, and adds, "My career has always been important to me."

While shooting for the famous songs sequence. "Kisike haath na aayegi yeh ladki' in the movie Chaalbaaz, Sridevi recalls that she was running 104 C temperature, but the tough processional that she is, she did not want to upset the schedule involving hundreds of people and decided to go ahead with the shoot. "I remember passing out after the shoot!" she says.

Adds her husband: "It doesn't really surprise me that she continued working when she was not well. Sridevi is a very committed person, not only where movies are concerned but in anything that she does. I remember another such incident. We were shooting for the song "Kate nahin kat te...' in Mr.India. it took a total of 22 days to complete. She had fever then too but she did not let it stop the shoot." (This was before they got married, when he was directing her*.) [*He was producing the film not directing!]

Life for Sridevi has not been easy by any measure. Grueling work schedules apart, the death of her parents was a blow that left her shattered. Her mother died during the making of Judaai, while her father expired when she was away for the shooting of Lamhe. Not afraid to live life on her own terms, in the absence of a brother, she did not hesitate to light her mother's funeral pyre, a custom frowned upon in Hindu religion.


The role of a lifetime...


In one of her earlier interviews, Sridevi had said, "I will bring up my babies to be the best, and people will look at them as examples." She seems to have succeeded in what she set out to do, I soon find out, as we are joined by 12-year-old Janhavi and 10-year-old Khushi.

Janhavi, dressed in formal black, her long silky tresses similar to her mother's, is a picture of good breeding. 10-year-old Khushi, also dressed in black and shocking pink, smiles impishly, obviously enjoying the experience. Janhavi surprises me with a warm smile and a handshake.

"I have taught them to always be welcoming and polite," says Sridevi, a proud parent, far from the glamorous diva in this 'role' closest to her heart. Is she a strict parent? "Not at all! I want my children to enjoy themselves. They go to their friend's houses, have them over to play, but they know their limits. I generally don't have to tell them 'don't do this' or 'don't do that'. They are very much aware that they are celebrity children. They are proud of my achievements, and proud of the fact that their father is a film producer. They love watching my movies and the movies produced by their dad... that is normal. They are very down-to-earth, not spoilt at all! As for parenting decisions, it's a joint effort," declared the modern mother.


I turn to Janhavi questioningly. "No, I wouldn't say she is strict. She strikes a 'perfect path'." A profound statement indeed from one who is just 13!

What about homework, does she nag them about it? "No, I have to tell them to stop, enough now!" beams Sridevi.

"We like to be the best," says Janhavi, shades of her mother's spirited attitude showing up early.

"They are good students, both of them doing well. I missed that part of my life. Now I am enjoying it through them," smiles Sridevi. "Though I was working full time when I was their age; my only focus was shooting, coming home to a tutor and learning my dialogues! I think my children are much more mature than I was at their age!


Sridevi on romance...



Being the 'other woman' is never easy, no matter what society you live in. Sridevi stoically bore the brunt of the backlash that had followed the announcement of her marriage to Boney Kapoor, a married man. Keeping a dignified silence, she rode the storm till the film fraternity and society at large made peace with the situation.


"We have been married for 15 years now. Yes, the love is still very much there. But it is different... much deeper in a sense. As the years pass, your understanding of each other improves. Boney is a romantic at heart but in subtle ways. Always kind and considerate, he will do anything to keep me happy. When I go for a shoot, he will see to it that the whole team (her staff members) is there to take care of my every need. Sometimes it is only later that I realise the trouble he has actually gone through, to make things easy for me."

On her relationship with his family, Boney says, "Sridevi has worked with us on three films, and my father was very fond of her since the Mr. India days. She starred opposite Anil (Kapoor, Boney's younger brother) in many films; and I got along well with her mom. She was very particular about money, but she trusted me implicitly even in money matters. This was before the beginning of our relationship. So later, when we fell in love, it was much easier for them to relate to it."


Boney on romance...



"I was watching one of her Tamil films, Minadum ka Khila [*Meendum Kokila!]. She was wearing a south Indian saree, a madisar in the film. I think I fell in love with her then. Much later, working together on various projects (we had been meeting frequently by then), I tried to convey my feelings to her without verbalising them. I first proposed to her, quite indirectly, on a flight from Toronto to Miami. We were on a tour for a live show. She was travelling without a companion - fortunately for me her companion didn't get her visa! So I took the seat next to hers. I know she got the hint but pretended otherwise. But in my heart I always believed that it would happen, that it was destined. I made a formal proposal to her while we were travelling in a car, alone without her family. I took her hand in mine and asked her to be my wife," says Boney, recalling the moment. "But she took her time in coming to a decision!" As they say, 'All's well that ends well.'"

Who wears the pants in the house?

"You will have to ask her that!" laughs Boney.

Well that certainly answered that question!

On housekeeping...


Sridevi is passionate about shopping, decorating and housekeeping. She doesn't believe in getting professionals. Before their mother can have her say, daughter Janhavi chips in. "Everything is done by Mom! She loves to do up the house. We generally shop together. Its fun," Khushi nods in agreement. "She personalises it with her touch," she adds.

What of home management? "I have my staff, of course, but I see to the running of the household. I like to shop for groceries myself. I know the prices of all the products I use in my home."

"She goes to buy fish also!" laughs Khushi.


"Daughters are like friends. We enjoy going shopping together, be it clothes or household good!" smiles Sridevi. "Yes, I still attract attention when I am out in public, but no, I don't think of it as an infringement of my privacy. I slogged the whole of my life to get where I am today. So, why not! I've earned it!" she says.


1 comment: