Friday 14 February 2020

Sridevi's photographer Rakesh Shreshta

The only man whose collection of Sridevi photographs we envy, the one and only Rakesh Shreshta. He was 'the' Bollywood photographer in the 1980s and 1990s, who shot all the biggest stars of the Indian film industry.

He was Sridevi's favourite photograher (and vice versa) and the two collaborated in hundreds of photo-shoots together. Many of which we have in the archive here.


After the passing of the actress, he reflects on the decades they worked together:

"Where do I start and what new [information] can I tell you about her? She was magic! We didn't have to do anything. Such was her confidence. in front of the camera, she was a different person. She knew exactly what to do. All the camera angles everything. We always used to have a blast on shoots. It's fascinating to have known her on and off camera. I have worked with her right from Himmatwala to Gumraah, before I quit the industry.

She was highly professional, a switch-on-switch-off kind of performer. When she is in front of the camera, she literally transformed and was full of energy. And as soon as the camera was off, she would detach and isolate herself form everyone. I still wonder how she used to do that...

She arrived in Bollywood as a sensuous, glamorous heroine. And then, in future roles, she just transformed herself into the most graceful and dignified actress, choosing sarees over other clothing.

So that's been her graph, you see; she wore a blue saree in Mr. India and then another blue saree in Chandni and yet she had a different identity in each. Both looks were highly accepted by audiences.

I remember shooting with her for the title song of Chandni on a yacht. Now you must know how difficult sometimes it is to just stand there and here she was, dancing on that yacht that shook continuously by rough sea waves. I was personally witnessing the energy and magic. That's called being versatile. That's Sridevi, an all-time favourite of mine.

Sorry, I don't share photos of me with my subjects. They are like personal memories. As unbelievable as it may sound, I don't have any picture with her.

Yes, I miss her. Immensely. In fact, immensely is an understatement. I don't know. I don't have words to describe how I miss her... "



Read earlier feature on Rakesh Shrestha on working with Sridevi

Rakesh Shreshta on working with Sridevi for Cine Blitz magazine here.

Rakesh Shreshta working with MOVIE magazine


Look at credits in magazines and find Rakesh Shreshta in the column... All the photos here of Sridevi by him.



1 comment:

  1. ๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน

    ReplyDelete