Monday 13 March 2023

Sridevi clears up her controversies: TBT to Stardust 1994

A major throwback, Sridevi clears the air in Stardust. 

Stardust: You desperately wanted to do a film with David Dhawan. You had even met and discussed a proposal with him but after the debacle of  Andaz, you backed out of the project saying that he was a crude director ?
Sridevi:
I did meet David Dhawan, and we even spoke of working together. But nothing was finalised as he is presently very busy with his other films. I don't recall calling him crude or whatever. I am still looking forward to working with him.

Stardust: Shahrukh Khan too for some reason is very put off with you. Recently he was heard saying that he would rather work with a Madhuri [Dixit] or a Kajol than put up with your starry tantrums. What is it about you that people prefer keeping their distance from you?
Sridevi:
This is news to me that Shahrukh doesn't want to work with me. I knew that Ajay Devgan had said that he would never work with me. I wanted to call up Ajay and clear up the Khuda Gawah  controversy, where I was supposed to have asked the producer to replace Ajay with Nagarjuna. This was all totally false. But then I was in two minds. I didn't know how he would react to my call. Well, someday I hope to clear up this misunderstanding too. Whether we work together or not, only time will tell.


Stardust: You are accused of troubling Vinod Mehra the maximum during the making of Gurudev. The poor man had to literally chase you around for your dates. He was literally at your mercy since you played a double role in the film. How could you treat him so shabbily?
Sridevi:
I would never ever dream of hurting somebody as endearing as Vinod Mehra. He was a perfect gentleman. In fact, since I was doing a double role in the film I was the first to complete most of my work. In fact, even after his sad demise I co-operated totally when they wanted some more dates of mine. You could ask Kiran Mehra if you don't believe me.
-- Stardust Magazine 1994

  • Sridevi in Stardust archive
  • Sridevi quotes here
  • Sridevi interviews here

Rishi Kapoor, Anil Kapoor and Sridevi in Gurudev



No comments:

Post a Comment