Friday 3 May 2024

TBT: Sridevi's interview from 1996: 'Urmila and Kajol are good. But I can't do these titilating dances!'

Sridevi's look from Mr. Bechara

Q: Which other films are fun?
Sridevi:
Mr Bechara with Anil Kapoor is interesting. I am also doing Anil and Boney's home production, Judaai. And then there is Yugpurush with Nana Patekar and Jackie Shroff. I’m playing a haughty socialite in that film. I’m quite happy with the way things are going. I’m not bothered with this so-called number game. We have not joined this business to be tagged No.1 or 2. And anyway it doesn't make sense. One hit and you’re up there. two flops and you’re down. It’s so silly.

Q: But you haven’t had any blockbusters recently. Even your career down South is on a simmer?
Sridevi:
I quit South Indian films long back. But even today many big producers continue to offer me plum roles. But I’m no longer really interested. But just because I do very selected films doesn't mean I am not doing well.

Q: You are looking lovely.
Sridevi:
(Blushes) Thank you.

Q: Urmila Matondkar is also looking very slim and sexy these days?
Sridevi:
Yes, I really liked her in Rangeela. I also like Kajol a lot, I think today’s girls are very talented and more confident then we were when we started. But then things have changed drastically. When I started acting, the directors and producers never bothered about technical gloss. They gave you a scene and you acted it out the way you thought right. There was no one to guide us, Now there are people to teach you acting. That way you cut down on the process of trial and error and end up looking natural and beautiful on screen.

Deva Raagam

Q: What do you think of their no-inhibition barred songs and dances?
Sridevi:
No comments. I don’t want to see the screaming headlines tomorrow, 'Sridevi against new girls!' (laughs). But honestly I will never be able to do the kind of dancing these girls are doing today. They are too titillating for my taste.

Q: One number in Rajkumar with Madhuri Dixit in a slinky black dress and green contact lenses reminds one of your fiery number in Laadla?
Sridevi:
Really? I haven't seen it.

Q: How does it feel to see others copying your numbers?
Sridevi:
(Smiles) No comments.

Q: Do you regret accepting any film, any role?
Sridevi:
Never, You should just make sure the mistakes are never repeated.

-- Entertainment Guide Magazine 1996. 


Sridevi on the sets of Army


No comments:

Post a Comment