Friday 2 August 2024

8 Films of Gulshan Grover and Sridevi: Sadma to Meri Biwi Ka Jawab Nahin

Gulshan Grover, excerpt from his biography Bad Man, "As soon as Balu [Mahendra, director of Sadma] shouted, ‘Lights, Camera, Action!’ I lunged for Sridevi. Completely in character, she pushed me away so hard I landed in a heap on the floor several feet away. There was a roar of laughter from Kamal and Romu and with a hurried ‘Cut’ Balu came running towards me. He looked at me, sitting there looking stupefied, and said with a straight face, ‘What is this? The mighty villain has fallen!” 

I quickly recovered my equilibrium and was back on my feet. The second take went off smoothly and we wrapped up the scene quickly, thanks to Sridevi. Without saying it in so many words, she made me realize just how important it was to enact a r*pe scene without hurting the dignity of my female co-star. Every actress resents and detests a strange man touching her. I don’t remember her exact words, but the gist of what Sridevi told me that day was that while projecting a certain emotion, I had to be careful not to make the object of my lust feel uncomfortable with my unwelcome attention. I had to ensure that no matter what, I was never out of line. That was the biggest lesson I learnt on the sets of Sadma, and one which I have diligently practised all through my career. In later years, in an interesting turn of events, given that I would make their lives hell onscreen, several heroines, from Rekha-ji, Anita Raj to Kimi Katkar, Dimple Kapadia, Manisha Koirala, Raveena Tandon, Tabu, Karisma Kapoor and Mahima Chaudhry often pushed their producers to sign me because I never inconvenienced them in scenes that demanded physical proximity.”

Excerpt from Stardust: 

Gulshan will always be thankful to his buddy Anil Kapoor, who he says is responsible for getting him this film. Anil introduced him to the director Balu Mahendra and spoke highly about his acting capabilities. "I was also the dialogue delivery coach for Kamal Haasan, Sridevi and Silk Smitha in the film. With this film, my friendship with producer Rommu Sippy began and he later went to to cast me in 15 films. Sadma, according to me, is a cult classic," he says proudly. 

Gulshan Grover went on to work with Sridevi in several films including;

  1. Sadma (1983)
  2. Ghar Sansar (1986)
  3. Waqt ki Awaz (1988)
  4. Nigahein (1989)
  5. Banjaran (1991)
  6. Chandra Mukhi (1993)
  7. Kaun Sachchan Kaun Jhootha (1997)
  8. Meri Biwi Ka Jawab Nahin (2004)

No comments:

Post a Comment