Wednesday 13 October 2010

Cine Blitz cover girl: Sridevi October 1988



























One of many Cine Blitz covers Sridevi graced in the 80s. This one is from October 1988.
Simple red sweater, wind blown Beyonce hair - Sridevi rockin' the cover.
All portraits shot by Gautam Rajadhyaksha.




Below: The cover story and spread. 

Cover story: Out in the Open: Sridevi's personal diary! 

From Sridevi with Love:


"I enjoy listening to 'Songbird' - it's an instrumental piece and it's beautiful. My favourite singers are Michael Jackson and Barbra Streisand. Especially Michael Jackson. His voice is soft and soothing, his songs relax me. And he dances superbly. I never tried dancing to his music... but he's too much. The family is always pulling my leg about him. I am going to sing too - in 'Chandni'

Besides singing, after viewing 'Singing in the Rain', I'd also love to try tat tap dancing. Those Fred Astaire films, they are great. I'd like to tap dance in my films, it's come back today. I have this one film in mind- a complete musical with a blend of western and classical dance. It'll be a fresh subject. 

Dancing reminds one of Anarkali - it's a fruit cocktail my mom makes for me. It's yum... A little wine or champagne occasionally is fine. But I prefer coke. 

I am going easy on food thought. I have to keep slim. but I cannot resist spicy Szechuan food and the simple but tasty curd rice. 

The only thing I can cook is - hot water! But I have taken down the recipe of one of my favourite dishes - Fried Prawns. Take a kilo of big prawns, clean, and salt them. Slice 10 chilies and squeeze the juice of 3 limes. Add to the prawns and marinate for at least one hour. Now make a paste of 3 tablespoons of cornflower, 4 tablespoons of soda powder [baking soda?] and some pepper with water. Dip prawns into this batter and deep fry. Serve with sauce.

I think my happiest moment would be able to eat for 10 days and not put on any weight! Impossible though - I can lose weight in 10 days and put it on again in the next 10.

Days, how do I spend them? In Madras I get up at 10, douse my hair with coconut oil and keep it on the whole day. No make-up at all. I love my farmhouse - it's my favourite place. I watch movies or stroll on my grounds filled with pineapple trees. - my favourite fruit. But I am most happy splashing in the pool or playing squash or table tennis. When I am married with kids, that's what I'd love doing - swim in the pool with my husband and kids - daughters preferably! 

I love water, not so much the sea. Whenever I see a pool, I want to take a dip. You could leave me in water the whole day. It's so refreshing, so clean. Like white, my favourite colour. Even if you're tired, white clothes make you feel clean and fresh. I used to like purple. In fact, my bedroom was in white and purple- but now it's just white.

In Bombay, there's no time to do anything. It becomes too difficult to even get my 8 hours of sleep. 

My diet - cold milk paalak paneer, boiled chicken, vegetables and buttermilk. And of course pieces of pineapple and pineapple juice. Even if it has to be brought from the farmhouse! Naturally  I lose weight in Bombay - there's not time to eat! 

Sketch by Sridevi

The scribble... you are fascinated? Drawing was always a favourite subject of mine in school. So was Maths. I still draw faces from my imagination, but there's no time to handle the other figures - accounts!

Reading I cannot do - no time again. The only book I read was 'If Tomorrow Comes' but that's because someone wanted to make a film on it, and I couldn't see the film on the video.

I like using egg on my hair, it's the best conditioner. My soap is Erno Laszlo Active Phelityl - because it doesn't dry up my skin and shampoo Wella Balsam Protein. I do my own makeup and the only products I use are Helena Rubenstein and YSL. My perfumes are Diana and Christian Dior, like my sunglasses. 

And I simply love my diamonds!! 

I am a very beautiful woman! My eyes and... hmm anybody else? Yes, Hema Malini - beautiful face. 

I enjoy wearing salwaar kameez, but a saree is so much more elegant and graceful, and especially Kanjeevaram, with thick gold payals. 





No comments:

Post a Comment