Wednesday 24 October 2012

Yashji's Chandni remembers him: Sridevi reflects on working with Yash Chopra



Yash Chopra gave Sridevi two of the best films in her career...Chandni and Lamhe. Understandably so, the actress is gutted as news breaks that the legendary director breathed his last earlier this week. Speaking to TOI she said: "It's a terrible shock.

"I remember him waiting for almost 30 minutes post the English Vinglish premiere [below pic] just to tell me that he had loved my work. Pam aunty and he patiently waited for everyone to leave and then spoke to me for 15 minutes! The premiere had started late but he didn't mind waiting. Even at Amitji's birthday, he came up to me to congratulate me about my comeback. He would call up Boneyji and convey his best wishes.


Sridevi with Yash Chopra at the Mumbai premiere of English Vinglish (2012)


I am grateful, he gave me Chandni and Lamhe. These films are so special to me. If I have looked my best in these films, all the credit goes to Yashji. My saris and style in Chandni became a big craze. He was a trendsetter in every way. He was so organised that no discussions were needed on the sets. We would know which outfit goes with what scene. He was so involved yet would give us the freedom. He was not bookish. He would never say, jo script mein hai wohi karna hai. He was extremely friendly and childlike, always happy with no ego. I never felt he was an elderly filmmaker. His thoughts were fresh. He was extremely down-to-earth. He would never impose his thoughts on others, probably one of the only directors who listened to his assistant directors and actors. You don't see this quality in many.

People speak of his romantic films but he was extremely versatile. Nandaji's Ittefaq (1969) was my favourite film of his. When he announced retirement as a filmmaker, I thought it was a huge loss. I felt bad. I thought he shouldn't give up like that. I would have loved to work with him again, who wouldn't?"






From TOI
Renuka Vyavahare, TNN | Oct 23, 2012, 12.00AM IST

1 comment:

  1. In heaven, he'll be greeted by Dev Saab with welcoming words: " Yash Ji kya irada hai....movie banate hain koi." He has merely changed his physical location; the spirit will be very same, anywhere he goes.

    ReplyDelete