Sunday 21 July 2019

Sridevi on the sets of Guru back in 1988: The tiger print




No, that's not Sridevi on the sets of Cats! Sridevi's feral look for Guru back in 1988! (the film was released early 1989).

When it comes to this film - though it was a success at the box-office, Sridevi looked back on the movie with nothing but regret. 

As she said in a Filmfare interview, "The kissing problem of Guru was a nightmare. Someone else's lips were used for a kiss even though I had said I wouldn't allow this to be done by a stand-in. My parents saw the film and were very upset. And the director (Umesh Mehra) even claimed that I had actually done the kissing scene. That has been my worst experience in the film industry. I really don't know why I should kiss someone I don't know. Others can do it but I can't."


Sridevi and Mithun in the villain's lion's den! 

Despite the controversy - and legal notice Sridevi sent Mehra - the movie created waves at the box-office and was the biggest opener of the year. The film was launched before Waqt ki Awaaz which would prove to be a bigger hit and released nearly seven months before Guru. Both films had similar cast and music by Bappi Lahiri. Music for both films released around the same time in April 1988. Film made huge money in its time. They don't call Bollywood a dream factory for nothing!











Above: Rare Pic: Sridevi on set with the film's director Umesh Mehra

Sridevi on the cover of Hindi tabloid Filmy Reporter, with Mithun, Juhi Chawla, Jackie Shroff. 


Left: Rare pic of choreographer Saroj Khan with Sridevi on set 



No comments:

Post a Comment