Monday 30 March 2020

Sridevi on working with Amitabh Bachchan

Q: Prior to working with Amitabh, did you see his films?
Sridevi: One film I remember very distinctly is Don. I saw it because we intended to remake it for a South Indian version. I liked it very much, the music was great and Amitji was so good. Another film that I loved was the one where he and Jayaji played singers - yes, Abhimaan. Amitji is always so casual and sensitive on screen. I was always a fan of his. Of course later on, I saw a lot of his films. 

Q: In both your Amitabh starrers - Inquilaab and Aakhri Raasta - your roles were negligible. Did you sign the films only to star opposite him?
Sridevi: My role in Inquilaab was very small; and I had nothing much to do. But I was the only heroine, so I did't mind. After all, it was a good break for me. I did Aahkri Raasta, only because I had already signed Poornachandra Rao's other film, which was never made. I did the film because of my good relations with him. In Aakhri Raasta I had a small role, and there was also Jaya Prada and it would have made no difference if I was in it or not.

Today I would never accept such an offer, even if its with Amitji. It's not that I have become too big to be in his films. I wouldn't even mind a small role, so long as I'm the only heroine.

Q: Were you comfortable working with Amitabh or were you in awe of him?
Sridevi: When I first started shooting with him, I used to keep my distance. Just give my shot and keep away, but Amitji made me feel very comfortable. I was touched because he didn't behave like a superstar with me, or have any nakhras. He was very simple and very normal. He said he had seen Sadma and praised my acting a lot.



Q: After working with a wooden actor like ****, is it a challenge to work with an actor of Amitab's caliber?
Sridevi: Please, I would not like to comment, because I liked working with both of them. How can I say anything like this? But everybody knows the difference when acting and talent are concerned. What can I say? It is a challenge working with Amitji, because he is a great actor. But unusually in both my films with him, I had nothing much to do. 

Q: Having worked with both the superstars, Amitabh Bachchan and Rajesh Khanna, could you point out the difference in their temperaments?
Sridevi: I was comfortable with both of them as far as working is concerned. But I cannot discuss them on a personal level as I am not close enough to either of them to know that. 

But there is a difference in the way they work in doing a scene. Amitji gets into a lengthy discussion with the director and co-star. In this way, we are able to improvise on the sets a lot. With Kaka [Rajesh Khana], it's not the same. He discusses only sometimes, depending on his mood. 

Q: Wasn't it your discreet affair with Amitabh that cut off your friendship with Rekha?
Sridevi: Don't be absurd. 


Left: Short interview with Sridevi by Cine Blitz magazine back in October 1986 - typed up above. Portrait of Sridevi by Jagdish Mali. 

No comments:

Post a Comment