Monday 1 June 2020

Filmfare: Sridevi: Where's the Competition? Bollywood icon reflects on Madhuri Dixit, Juhi Chawla, Raveena Tandon, Karishma Kapoor


November 1993 Filmfare interview with Sridevi. 

Where's the Competition? 


A bus full of schoolgirls gate-crashes into her makeup room. They emerge, giggling and gushing, "Oh, she looks just like a doll!"

The doll straightens out her hair, leads you to a disco-set where a thousand lights wink at he actress. In between shots, over a coffee, she talks, flanked by her brother Satheesh who's added kilos of calories on his small frame. "She's lost weight and I've put on.." he jests.

Here's a new slim-trim Sridevi then. If she was Thunder Thighs of the '80s, her sparkling gaze today makes her Electric Eyes of the '90s. And slowly but surely, over the years, she has become far more forthcoming in her interviews. Excerpts:

Why the crash diet? Have you consciously gone in for a new look?
Sridevi: I wish I could say, "Yes" to that. But no, the way I look today wasn't planned. Once I was 63 kgs, now I'm down to 55 kgs. A month or so ago, I wasn't feeling well because I was shooting day and night. It was reported that I went through a special ayurvedic course to become slim. I'm afraid that's not true. I've never taken any special medicines to change my physical appearance. I tend to put on and lose weight very easily, in a couple of weeks I can look absolutely different, which must have something to do with my system. Once I recovered from fever and exhaustion, I wanted to return to normal, eat the way I used to. But then I was told that I was looking good. So, I'm going to stay this way even if I've to keep away form oily fried food, milk shakes, ice cream and chocolates.

You won't miss all this?
(Rolls her eyes) Ooh, I will. But since I never exercise, the only alternative is to keep away from the delicious things of life.

But take the dances you do - like the one you're performing today. Isn't it like exercising?
(Looks at me as if I was nuts). No, no, dancing comes easy. It's no strain at all. it doesn't help really in staying slim.

What do you have to say about the weighty controversy sparked off by your visit to Tamil Nadu's chief minister, Jayalalitha, when she was fasting over the Cauvery water dispute? Your films have been banned in Karnataka and there have been protests in Bangalore over the release of Gumrah.
I certainly didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I have known Jayalalithaji ever since I was a child. When she was fasting, I made a courtesy visit. I'm an actress, I'm not a political person. I went to see her in the capacity of a friend. I was really surprised by the ban called in Karnataka on my films. I don't know what the outcome will be. The film associations have held discussions, let's see what happens. I've never faced such a situation before. Politics is a word that doesn't exist in my dictionary.

It has been 11 years since Himmatwala. What, according to you, accounts for your staying power at the top?
Please... honestly, I never think about this. I believe in letting my work do all the talking. I've never done anything special, I've never plotted and planned. Like right now, I have Meri Biwi ka Jawaab Nahin, Chand Ka Tudka, Chandramukhi and Laadla as my forthcoming films. And negotiations are on for seven to eight other new projects.

Is your Meri Biwi Ka Jawab Nahin director, Pankuj Parashar, your favourite? You got awards and acclaim for his Chaalbaaz and you even did a guest appearance in his children's film Aasman se Gira.
(Smiles meaningfully) My favourite? Who says that?

I do, he does too.
He is one of my favourite directors.

Who are the others?
(Smiles some more) You're trying to trap me. Sorry, but an actress has to be neutral. I can't mention a few names and upset the others. It wouldn't be professional of me to do this.

Would you tell me of-the-record?
Please, will you have some more coffee?

The trade is talking about your return to Telugu cinema. Like you're doing films with Nagarjuna and Chiranjeevi. Are you returning to the south as part of a strategy?
There's no question of strategy. I've always done films in the south. Like last year, I did Kshana Kshanam with Venkatesh and before that a film with Chiranjeevi which was dubbed into Hindi as Aadmi aur Apsara.

But do you feel at home in Bombay?
At long last, I do. Ever since I've moved into my own apartment (at Green Acres, Versova). Now, I can finally have ghar ka khana [home-cooked meals]. I'm secure instead of feeling that anyone could barge in... there is mental relaxation.

What do you mean by mental relaxation?
Simply, that I'm not tense any more. I don't have to depend on room service or live like a gypsy. As the saying goes, there's no place like home.

Have you met your neighbours at Green Acres?
No, not really... but yes, there was a wonderful old couple who dropped in to say, "Hello." They said I shouldn't hesitate to contact them if I needed anything. And of course, there are the children, they wait to see me leave for shooting, they ask for autographs. They're very cute.

Okay, so life's looking up. But what about your career? Isn't the competition hotting [heating!] up?
Where's the competition? Every actress has her own place.

I would like your frank opinion on Madhuri Dixti.
(Without pausing) She's very good, she's a good dancer, she has her own style. She's a good performer also.

Which film have you liked her most in?
In Dil.

And what do you think of Juhi Chawla?
She's very good too. I saw her in Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke recently. She was too good. I liked her innocence.

Did you like Madhuri Dixit's take-off on you in Khalnayak?
I haven't seen it.

You've heard about it?
Yes.

Would you mimic another actress?
(Half-smile) No comments.

Would you do a Choli ke Peecheh?
(No smile) Please, no controversy.

Do you like the song?
Yes. It has appealed to the masses, it has a catchy beat. I like it.

Would you do a film with Subash Ghai?
I did Karma with him, if he asked me to work for him again, I wouldn't mind.

What do you think of the crude jhatkas by a dancer in the Gumrah song Bada naam ho gaya?
See, it was probably there for mass appeal. Maheshji could answer this better.

Do you regret missing out on Beta, which boosted Madhuri Dixit's star status?
I don't regret anything. There are hits and flops in everyone's career, finally things balance out. I couldn't' do Beta because of date problems.

It's said that you don't even say hello to Madhuri, that you come face to face, you look through her.
(Angry). Who said this? I don't believe that she has said this at all.

She didn't but film people do talk about this.
They shouldn't because it's just not true. There is no reason for me to behave badly, I would never ever do such a thing. Even if someone doesn't speak to me, I make it a point to wish him or her. Whether it's a hero, heroine or character artiste, I wish everyone on the sets and at functions. My father brought me up strictly - he made it clear to me that I should behave properly. That's why I first namaste everyone and then get on with my work.

Aren't film-makers like Pankuj Parasher trying to cast Madhuri and you together?
He has never mentioned it to me. Ask him in front of me.

And wasn't the pair suggested earlier by Ramesh Sippy?
As far as I know, i was to be the solo heroine in Rameshji's film. But the project didn't take off.

After so many years, films and performances, do you have anything left to accomplish?
For an actress, there can never be an end. I was watching Sally Field in Not without My Daughter, and I said, "My God, what a performance!" As long as there are powerful roles and powerful films, an actress can never call it quits.

How do you get the time to see films?
After pack-up, I head straight for my LD (laser disc player) and I watch movies because they involve me completely, like I couldn't' take my eyes off The Bodyguard and Cliffhanger though I saw them late at night.

Are you a sound sleeper?
(That you're-nuts expression again). I am. But on some days, I wake up early because I've just had a dream.

What kind?
Usually there are snakes hissing all around em. Especially when I have a cold or fever, then snakes return in my sleep.

There were offers from Hollywood for you. Why haven't you tried to make it internationally?
I've never run after any goals in my life. I've never struggled or anything. If an opportunity comes my way, I'd love to do. And no, there have been no feelers from Steven Spielberg again. I said "no" about a year ago because I couldn't' just quit my commitments in India and fly off to America.

How would you personally evaluate Gumrah?
I particularly enjoyed doing the film's second half - without make-up, it was a challenging to go deglamourised. But there were never anything like getting intentionally high-pitch, or all worked up even for the way I react in the mother's death scene, a scene which has been praised quite a lot... Often, there were date hassles, the shooting had to be done fast. I'd be told the basic movements, I was given just about enough time for dress changes and I had to go through the various moods and shades of the chapters as spontaneously as I could.

You never try to study a character, interpret it?
No, where's the need? i grasp what's given to me and get it right there before the camera. there's no need for worrying  and getting all wound up.

Don't you want to turn to serious roles, the kind that is possible in offbeat cinema?
Later, later, there's till time for all that. right now, it's entertainment for me.

November 1993 Filmfare interview


1 comment:

  1. ๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน

    ReplyDelete