Wednesday 24 February 2021

India's Leading Lady is No More. Third anniversary of Iconic Indian Actress' death: The Sridevi Shradhanjali


On this day in 2018, three years ago now... legendary Indian actress Sridevi died in Dubai - leaving a world of fans in shock, grief and profound existential angst. How could someone so full of life, so gracious, charming, kind and soft... leave such a vacuum. 

The golden gal of Bollywood, she died so suddenly and shockingly, The Hindu compiled a list of all the celebrity, star and VIP tributes to Sridevi the day after her demise. Sridevi's death made all of India pause. Here's the long list of tributes from that time;

"Actor Sridevi suffered a cardiac arrest* [as reported the day after on Feb 25 - later amended to accidental drowning] and passed away in the early hours of Sunday.

Leaders and film fraternities across the country mourned the loss of the veteran actor.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his condolences and tweeted: Saddened by the untimely demise of noted actor Sridevi. She was a veteran of the film industry, whose long career included diverse roles and memorable performances. My thoughts are with her family and admirers in this hour of grief. May her soul rest in peace.

President Ram Nath Kovind said she had left millions of fans heartbroken. "Shocked to hear of passing of movie star Sridevi. She has left millions of fans heartbroken. Her performances in films such as Moondram Pirai, Lamhe and English Vinglish remain an inspiration for other actors. My condolences to her family and close associates," he tweeted.

Actor Rajinikanth said he had lost a true friend and the industry, a true legend. "I’m shocked and very disturbed. I’ve lost a dear friend and the industry has lost a true legend. My heart goes out to her family and friends. I feel the pain with them #RIPSridevi ... you will be missed," he tweeted.

Speaking to media persons outside his residence, he said, "I was extremely shocked to hear of her demise. I've known her for around 40 years and we've been acting together since my second film. and she's a very good friend. May her soul rest in peace and my condolences to Boney Kapoor and her family.

"Everyone knows how good an actor she was. Off camera, she would be normal and listen to all the instructions given to her. And then suddenly on camera, it was as if she was fire, like electricity her performance would be. I have always greatly admired how she effortlessly acted in Hindi films too."

soundarya rajnikanth ✔@soundaryaarajni
We will miss you Pappika. Feeling so so so shocked and sad !!!! #RIPSridevi #Legend https://twitter.com/superstarrajini/status/967587334878146560 …

Rajinikanth ✔@rajinikanth
I’m shocked and very disturbed. I’ve lost a dear friend and the industry has lost a true legend. My heart goes out to her family and friends. I feel the pain with them #RIPSridev ... you will be missed.
3,802
10:38 AM - Feb 25, 2018

Actor Kamal Hasaan recalled working with Sridevi. "Have witnessed Sridevi's life from an adolescent teenager to the magnificent lady she became. Her stardom was well deserved. Many happy moments with her flash through my mind including the last time I met her. Sadma's lullaby haunts me now. We'll miss her," he tweeted.

Tributes to Sridevi | Indian cinema just lost its smile, says Karan Johar

Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu also expressed his condolences. "As a multi lingual actress, especially for the Telugus, she became the most favorite heroine. She remains as a proud actress of India with her unparalleled acting skills," ANI reported him as saying.

The official twitter handle of the Congress tweeted that she was a legend who would "continue to live in our hearts". "We regret to hear about the passing away of Sridevi. An actor par excellence. A legend who will continue to live in our hearts through her stellar body of work. Our deepest condolences to her loved ones. She was awarded the Padma Shri by the UPA Govt in 2013," the party's handle tweeted.

Congress President Rahul Gandhi: Shocked to hear about the sudden and untimely death of one of India’s favourite actress, Sridevi. Sridevi was an incredibly talented and versatile actress whose vast body of work spanned a range of genres and languages. My condolences to her family. May her soul rest in peace.

Congress leader Shashi Tharoor quoted Austrian poet Rainer Maria Rilke from Sonnets to Orpheus. "Let your presence ring out like a bell into the night. And if the earthly no longer knows your name, whisper to the silent earth: I am flowing. To the flashing water say: I am," he tweeted.

Tamil Nadu Deputy Chief Minister O. Paneerselvam tweeted: My Heartfelt Condolences to the untimely and unfortunate demise of the veteran,versatile and vibrant actress SrideviBKapoor . Her impeccable life and illustrious career has impressed every one surpassing generations! May her soul rest in peace.

Jeetendra: On this day, I'm at a loss of words owing to shock and utter disbelief. Having worked closely with Sri in 16 films, it's hard for me to even express how this feels, let alone take it in my stride as one of life's inevitability. All I can say, though, is that she was a very special co-star, a rare talent combined with extreme professionalism and hard work. May God give her family the strength at this hour to deal with this situation and above all, may her soul rest in peace. Will miss you Sri!.

Karan Johar: I danced to “Hawa Hawai” when I was in school. I have seen every film of hers multiple times. I met her with shaking hands and feet on the sets of my fathers film Gumrah and felt I had arrived when she called me for the first time. Every time I met her I had a star-struck moment and a fan-boy vibe. I don’t think I can believe it. Perhaps I don’t think I want to believe that she is no more. She is a huge reason I love the movies. I feel like Indian cinema just lost its smile. The heavens are fortunate they just inherited a gift of life. Heartbroken.



Former editor of Filmfare, Rauf Ahmed: I used to do the Filmfare Awards in the south, and it was rather casual in the '80s for South Indian filmmakers to make Hindi films. Jaya Prada and Sridevi had had this fierce competition. Jaya Prada’s brother, who owned cinemas, blocked Sridevi’s films from being screened. But they lost a lot of money and it didn’t make sense to be this childish and immature. Jeetendra brought Sridevi to Bollywood with her second Hindi film Himmatwala. The film did very well and Sridevi overtook Jaya Prada, but [the former] was a greater dancer and was considered to have more sex appeal. In fact she overtook everybody.

I remember I asked Javed Akhtar – when I was doing a cover story on Sridevi for Filmfare – and he said Sridevi’s the first heroine who has brought to the screen the kind of sensuality she became known for. Once Himmatwala happened, she always won praise. [In 1990] there was a bit of controversy when Sridevi won the Filmfare Award for Best Actress for Chaalbaaz instead of Chandni. The jury felt her performance in Chaalbaaz was superior but most people in the industry felt it was gimmicky and that Chandni was more emotionally touching.

Sridevi stood out with her films; especially with Yash Chopra’s Chandni. But she had already established herself by then. Then in the '90s there was competition between Sridevi and Madhuri Dixit about who Saroj Khan worked with. At the time, both Anil and Boney Kapoor were backing Madhuri Dixit. Things got very bad for Sridevi around the time her mother died and her sister Latha became estranged. She felt alone and insecure. She was getting too insecure, about being a woman who’s not from the north, not so fluent in Hindi.

She was initially very diffident about [interviews] and not very fluent in English and couldn't speak Hindi very fluently but she was a great performer. In the beginning, she was a little intimidated by the media in Bombay. She was not openly flamboyant and she would underplay herself. She was always professional and didn’t talk too much because she was concerned about being watched [by the media]. After Himmatwala, I think she gained more confidence. She was very communicative if she trusted you and she would speak to you very well. She is my favourite personally and she's a phenomenal actress.

Boney Kapoor challenged Shekar Kapoor to make Sridevi sexier than ‘Har kisko nahin milta’ in Feroz Khan’s Janbaaz. It was a sensuous dance, the first time for Sridevi. At that time, Saroj Khan was taking a lot of care of Sridevi. That’s how ‘Kaate Nahi Katte’ came about, because of a challenge.



Choreographer Saroj Khan: I met her when I was choreographing the song 'Maine Rab Se Tujhe” for Karma. Her dance style was more of the [South Indian] Madras-style and we used to have to do a few retakes. But she still danced well. Then, she herself said, “Saroj-ji, please give me more rehearsals, I’m not a good dancer.” Her truthfulness really took my surprise because no artiste likes to admit they’re not good. We became the best of friends and had the best of master and teacher relationship. We never choose our relationships. When she got married she left the industry. She came back with English Vinglish (2012) but there was no dancing in the film. But we were good friends. My fondest memory is the day she stopped my car on the road and introduced her two daughters saying, “Saroj-ji, how are you. Here are my daughters.” A big artiste like her getting down in the middle of the road and bringing her daughters to me. That's a big thing.

I will always remember her in the mornings when she would come and say, “Hello Saroj-ji”, and she would hold me tight and give me a kiss. Even your own child won’t do that. I will also remember a New Year's party when she invited me and my six dancer boys to her house in Madras. [It was when we were shooting songs for Gurudev (1993).] She sent us seven tickets and they were playing dandiya. I was staying in her house and when I got up in the morning, there was a jewel box kept near my pillow. I got scared that I slept in the wrong room. I found her mother and told her about the box on my pillow. She said Shree has kept it there for you. Inside there was a diamond jewellery set with rings, necklace, earrings and kadhas. And she gave Rs 11,000 to all my boys each and a return ticket.

We also played a prank on her. The boys saw her having champagne the previous night so they pretended to be hurt by her dandiya. Her father was standing there and saw me telling the boys “thoda aur langedke chal” and he must have told her. When she saw the boys, she cried, “I did this?”. The next thing she calls us for lunch and we see all gold vessels. She said to me, “Masterji, first you eat and then your boys will eat.” When i opened one dish, there were stones, another had sand and third had paper. We all burst out laughing. She was a doll. That's all I can say. It’s not because she gave me jewellery but because she was [a wonderful] human. I have no more words.

Actor Nagarjuna Akkineni: I met Sridevi on the sets of one of my father's film, in which she acted as his daughter. My dad always considered her like his daughter. He was fond of her. Maybe now they both can say hi to each other. I am at a loss for words, don't know whether to cry or smile remembering the good memories. She was three years younger to me but much more experienced than me as an actor. When I got the chance to act with her, in Aakhari Poratam, I was nervous. I had observed her from a distance, but was scared that I would make a fool of myself. We were shooting in a car on beach road, Madras, and I was forgetting my lines. Away from the camera, she would whisper my lines. Later we burst out laughing. We kept in touch over the years, have been good friends. I hope her two beautiful daughters get the strength to overcome this loss. Sridevi conquered every industry she set foot in. There won't be another like her.

Actor Adil Hussain, who worked with Sridevi English Vinglish recalls his association with the actor:

My first experience of meeting Sridevi was the day I went to do the tests rehearsals (for English Vinglish). I had done just three films before, I was sort of an infant in front of her in terms of skill. I remember we were sitting besides each other and I told her that I saw your film Sadma long ago. I still remember that I couldn’t speak for two whole days after I watched the film because of its impact and its sadness. And she looked at me, and she had moist eyes. It was then that I realised in that every tiny 30-second interaction – of course we went ahead and rehearsed more – but she’s such a vulnerable and defenceless person and she opens up her entire being in order to let you enter her and sort of face the turmoil [of her character]. That's one of the rarest of qualities any actor can have.

I personally think vulnerability is the key to a versatility. She allows the audience to sort of come through the window of her soul and enter her personal space. She executes all her emotions in front of the camera with such finesse, it’s kind of an Indianness, not in a nationalist kind of way, but the inherent Eastern aesthetics and the tenderness and grace that we possess just by virtue of being born in this part of this world. [She had that] in spite of her being educated in a Western system as we all are. [It’s something] which I rarely see in any actor today.

It was a unique experience [working with her] and the kind of respect she had for a newcomer as me playing her husband, it was a gift. And more so I feel it right now. I didn’t expect her to leave so suddenly and it's frustrating and I felt angry. I didn't have a personal relationship with her, and after just a few a few meetings I had with [her] I feel I’m going to be deprived of her. Of course it’s a deeply personal loss to her family, but’s it’s an impersonal loss of being not being able to see her onscreen, especially with talent which rarely any other actor has.

Cricketer Sachin Tendulkar said it was difficult to digest that she was not with us anymore. "I have no words to express how i feel. We have grown up seeing her. It is difficult to digest that she is not with us. My heartiest condolences to her family," ANI reported Mr. Tendulkar as saying.

Actor Farhan Akhtar recalled his first job, working on the sets of Lamhe. "My first job in 1990 was on Lamhe and this song Megha re Megha was the very first time I saw this legendary actor create her incredible magic on screen. From Sadma to Chalbaaz, from Mr. India to Chandni, it was impossible to take your eyes off her when she appeared on screen. A true star. A gifted actor. A woman with tremendous dignity. Gone too soon. RIP Sridevi. Sad sad day," he posted on Instagram.

Director S. S. Rajamouli: Shocked to hear the sad news. The first Lady Superstar of the Country. 50 of those 54 years as an actress par excellence. What a journey..and such an unexpected end. May your soul rest in peace. Sridevi garu

Music director A.R. Rahman tweeted his condolences, while veteran actor Amitabh Bachchan tweeted, "I don't know why, I feel this strange fear."

Actor Venkatesh said there was only one Sridevi and she was unparelled. "It’s shocking to wake up to this news. I am still wondering if the news is true. This shouldn’t have happened to her. I have known her since childhood, much before I became an actor. I don’t remember when I met her first, but I think it was in Chennai when she was a child actor.She was extremely disciplined and graceful. She as born to be an actor," he said.

Union Minister Smriti Irani called Sridevi a powerhouse of acting. "Sridevi - a powerhouse of acting , a long journey embellished with success comes to a sudden end. My condolences to her loved ones and fans," she tweeted.

Actor Radhikaa Sarathkumar who has starred with Sridevi in several films said she was an artiste par excellence. "So shocked to hear about sridevikapoor, still in shock. my heart goes out to her family. An artiste par excellence, co starred in many movies with her. Can’t believe this," she tweeted.

Mahesh Bhatt✔@MaheshNBhatt
Jolted by the news of Sridevi’s sudden death !

Suresh Triveni, director of Tumhari Sulu: My first and only memory of meeting her was at the preview of Tumhari Sulu at NSCI (National Sports Club of India) auditorium in Worli. She took time off her hectic schedule and drove all the way to town to wish Vidya Balan and the entire team. It was a dream come true for me. I am a huge fan of Sridevi's. Who is not? It was a brief opportunity of interaction with her. I told her that I couldn't believe I was standing in front of her. It is the memory of the icon that I take back with me.

The song Hawa Hawai 2.0 was meant to be a tribute to her, never to match up to her. Also the way Vidya Balan says Balma. It was about referencing popular culture and no one personifies popular culture better than Sridevi. She leaves behind an immense body of work. I loved her in Sadma, English Vinglish, Lamhe and more recently in Mom. She has been part of en entire generation of film lovers. I haven't come across anyone who didn't like her. Her passing on is a loss for us filmmakers. One would have liked to have worked with her. So many stories that could have been made [with her] will now take a backseat.

Veteran director Shekhar Kapur said an era was over. "SriDevi .. gone. It's like an era is over. Like life turning a new chapter. A beautiful story just ended. An amazing spirit just vanished leaving us with amazing love, memories, and incredible grief," he tweeted.

Actor Sushmita Sen tweeted: "I just heard Ma’am Sridevi passed away due to a massive cardiac arrest. I am in shock...cant stop crying...", while actor Priyanka Chopra said it was a dark day. "I have no words. Condolences to everyone who loved Sridevi. A dark day. RIP."

"Just woke up to the saddest news..Sridevi is no more amongst us..the most talented and most beautiful..no words to express the grief..my deepest condolences to the family..May the force be with them in such hard times..her childlike laughter will be missed..RIP," tweeted actor Khushbu Sundar.

"Shocked beyond words at the passing away of SrideviBKapoor ! Each of your expression will remain etched in our mind for ever! Can’t believe you are gone, a true star among the stars!Condolences to the family. RIP SRIDEVI," tweeted Resul Pookutty.

Hrithik Roshan ✔ @iHrithik
I loved her, admired her so much. My 1st ever acting shot was with Sri Devi, I was nervous in front of her n I remember her shaking her hands pretending 2b nervous cause of me just 2 boost my confidence. V had 2 laugh,n she kept laughing until I got it right. Will miss you mam


Kona Venkat, one of the writers of her last film Mom: The Indian film industry has lost a great soul, a great actress. Like everyone else, I am also coming to terms with the fact that she is no more. The first film for which I was associated with her is Mom. I didn’t think it will be the last one. She was a very warm person. I convey my heartfelt condolences to her family. May she rest in peace.

Veteran actor Lakshmi: I've acted with Sridevi in several films in Tamil Telugu and Malayalam. She's played my younger version and my younger sister in several films and I've never seen a more dedicated and sincere child artist. Every producer and director was lucky to work with her. It's hard to come across a celebrity like her, with no airs. I received the news of her demise early this morning and it has come as a huge shock to all of us in the industry. She will always be remembered as a committed, hard working and dedicated actress who was always ready to give her best.

Actor Akshay Kumar: Shocked beyond words to hear about the sad and untimely demise of Sridevi. A dream for many, had the good fortune of sharing screen space with her long ago and witnessed her continued grace over the years. Thoughts and prayers with the family. RIP

Actor Madhavan said the film industry would never be the same again. "Shocked and deeply saddened by the tragic and sudden passing away of a Legend of Indian Cinema Srideviji.Cant imagine what the family is going thru.Our industry will never be the same again.She was the kindest soul apart from being a Giant performer.The heavens are lucky. RIP," he tweeted.

Actor Boman Irani: Just woken up to the tragic and shocking news of the passing of our dear Sridevi ji. Heartfelt condolences to Boneyji and her family.

Actor Hansika, who played Sridevi's daughter in her last Tamil film 'Puli', says: It’s a very little big loss. I’ve been a huge fan ever since I watched 'Lamhe'. When I worked with her in 'Puli', I got to speak to her a lot because most of my scenes were with her. She spoke to me a lot of about her journey in cinema, and with me, being a child actor first, could draw a lot of parallels with her life. We could see the pros and cons of starting out early in the industry.  Apart from that, I remember we bonded over how I often I would speak to my mother. She said that her daughters too were like me in the way we just needed to speak to our moms ever so often. My heart now goes out to her family and her daughters. Stay strong.

Actor Priya Anand: I am deeply saddened by the news of her passing. I spent a big chunk of my childhood following her movies and imitating  her dance! My life's biggest gift was working on 'English Vinglish'. And what struck me the most was what an amazing mom she was! Such a terrible loss for her family and friends and fans all over the world like me.

Actor Rishi Kapoor: Woken up to this tragic news. Absolute shock. Sad. Heartfelt condolences to Boney and their two daughters!


Farah Khan✔ @TheFarahKhan
The brightest Star is gone.. #Sridevi ..

CPI (M) leader Sitaram Yechury: Actor Sridevi brought so many varied characters to life, over such a long span and in so many languages. She had so much more to do. Condolences to her near and dear ones.

Telangana Governor E. S. L. Narasimhan expressed shock at the sudden demise of Sridevi and said the film industry has suffered an irreparable loss.

Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao said in her death, the Indian film industry had a void and left Telugu film industry in sorrow. He also conveyed his condolences to the members of the bereaved family.

YSR Congress Party president Y. S. Jagan Mohan Reddy expressed shock and said that the veteran actor rode the film industry like a colossus with her charm, talent and agility. "It is loss to the industry and film lovers, more so, generations of filmgoers in the country," he said.

Actor Sridevi was a pleasing personality and had carved a niche for herself in the cine industry over 50 years. Her demise is a huge loss not only to Tamil Cine field but to the Indian Cine Industry. I extend my deep condolences to her bereaved family: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami

Anupam Kher ✔@AnupamPKher
SHOCKING. JOLTED. Am I having a horrible dream. Sridevi no more? This is SO SO SAD. AND SO SO NOT FAIR. One of the most brilliant, elegant and talented actresses ever. The queen of Indian cinema. And a friend. Worked with her in so many movies. So many amazing memories.....

Telangana Congress President N. Uttam Kumar Reddy, actor and Janasena founder Pawan Kalyan and Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit all expressed their condolences.

Actor Niithin: I truly wish it's not true, deeply saddened by the news RIP ... Legendary Sridevi.. deepest condolences to the family.

Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said the country has lost a brilliant actor who ruled the Indian cinema for decades together with her exemplary acting skills. “Her roles in movies such as ‘Sadma’, ‘Chandni’, ’Lamhe’ and ‘English-Vinglish’ will be remembered for a long time,” he said.

West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee: “Saddened at the untimely passing away of Sridevi, one of the most popular actors of a generation. Condolences to her family, her colleagues in the industry and fans.”

Producer A.M. Ratnam: My association with Sridevi goes back a long way. Most of my superhits were remade in Hindi by Mr. Boney Kapoor. There was no trip to Mumbai where I would miss visiting their family. I'm unable to digest the fact that such a good human being and a good actress is no more with us.

Actor Balakrishna: She had acted in many movies with my father. She had the ability to emote any situation through her eyes. Her sudden death is a great loss to the film fraternity. I wish her soul rests in peace.

Actor Allu Arjun: Shocked to hear of the demise of iconic actress Sridevi Garu ! Really sad news. Condolences to her family, near and dear ones

Actor Pawan Kalyan: She won hearts across the country, regardless of language. It's tough to believe that she's no more, yet her roles in iconic movies will stay with us forever. I still remember her song Boochadamma in Badipantulu and her wide gamut of expressions. I hold her innocent performance with my brother Chiranjeevi in Jagadeka Veerudu Atiloka Sundari close to my heart. It's unfortunate that she couldn't see her daughter's entry into films. Her position in the Indian film industry is irreplaceable.


(With inputs from Sangeetha Devi Dundoo, Poorvaja Sundar, Vishal Menon, Namrata Joshi , Deborah Cornelious and Agencies)

No comments:

Post a Comment