Friday 20 May 2022

I never said 'Ask Mummy': Sridevi: Showtime 1988

One from the archives, Sridevi's Q&A with Showtime back in 1988. Thanks to Bollywood Memories on Instagram for digging out this partial Q&A. 


Showtime: Why do you consistently give tame interviews? Don't you think it's a smarter move to talk to the press expansively so that you come across as an intelligent and articulate person, like say Dimple Kapadia, than the perpetual dumb Amma that you're made out to be?

Sridevi: Tell me, whom do I have to impress with my smartness or intelligence? My audience? I can assure you that they are quite happy seeing me on screen. My fan mail will vouch for that. Who else is there? The press? Why should I? Why should I tell all the little secrets of my personal life? My professional life and personal life are totally different. Giving an intelligent interview does not mean constantly talking about your children or your husband or your boyfriend. These things don't help selling your film. And that is all I'm interested in. I want interviews that read sweet, not controversial. If that makes me sound dumb, fine! Whether you can me dumb or intelligent, it really doesn't matter to me.

Do 'sweet' interviews mean, that you constantly parry every question with one 'Ask Mummy'?

Sridevi: Not at all. I have never ever said Ask mummy' to avoid a particular question. If at all I've said it, it must have been because the interviewer was asking me about my dates, or my shooting schedule, or the number of films that I have or even my income. Which is absolutely okay by me. 

Showtime magazine 1988🌾


No comments:

Post a Comment