Saturday 11 February 2023

Rare Still: Upasana Singh, Sridevi and Johnny Lever in Judaai (1997)

Rare Still: Upasana Singh, Sridevi and Johnny Lever in Judaai (1997)

Upasana Singh, "I said yes to the film without even reading the script as I was a huge fan of Sridevi. I grew up admiring Sridevi, and it was a big moment for me to work with her. I played the roles of a mother and mute woman, who just says ‘abba dabba jabba’. I was not convinced about it, but went with the director’s conviction. I put all my effort into expressing those words with different variations and moods. And it clicked! It made me the ‘abba dabba jabba’ girl." 


Made on the modest budget of about Rs 6.30 crores in a haze of publicity that had nothing to do with the film but the film's producer (Boney Kapoor) and leading lady (Sridevi!), the advance reports of Judaai in the early months of 1997 were not that great... 

Esp after a series of flops together with Anil Kapoor (Heer Ranjha, Mr Bechara, Roop Ki Rani Chorona Ka Raja and the under-performed classic Lamhe), through great word of mouth , Judaai steadily climbed the charts and was 'the' surprise smash hit of the year, raking in nearly 30 crore to become the eighth biggest hit of  '97. 

Judaai had a lot working for it. The undeniable talent of the leads, chart-topping music, and hot-off-the-success of Rangeela Urmila and a high gloss entertainment factor. A lot of ink was spilled about the husband-selling plot but Google away - it's a story straight out of newspaper headlines the world over.

No comments:

Post a Comment