Sunday 30 April 2023

Filmfare Best Actress Winner: Sridevi for Lamhe (1991)

Filmfare Awards Nite, the annual film awards were held over the weekend and having lost all interest in any show now that Sridevi isn't around, was reflecting on an all-time favourite Filmfare moment, when Sridevi won Best Actress for her stellar performance Yash Chopra's classic, Lamhe

Sridevi in her own words;

"I think my performance in Lamhe was much better than my performance in Chandni. I know Chandni was a successful film and Lamhe wasn't a box-office hit but that's how it is in show-business. 

I have two favourite moments in Lamhe actually - the time I'm emotionally wounded and walk out of the house in England and the other is the time when I'm told by Anil Kapoor that he was in love with my mother. 

Choosing between the double role of the mother and the daughter, I liked to play the younger lovelorn girl. I felt more comfortable with this character, more close to her. But now don't ask me if, like the girl, I have ever been attracted to an older man. Because the answer would be, "No, never!".

I liked the scene where I run into Deepak Malhotra's arms. Anilji's expression conveyed so much hurt. Even the scene where I confront Anilji and ask him not to fight his feelings is a personal favourite.

This film was definitely ahead of its times. Perhaps the audience was expecting a conventional ending.

We had a great time for 20 days in London. Then I was called back home... my father had passed away. After the ceremonies were over, I returned to England for the rest of the shooting. The unit was very quiet, they didn't know how to react. And I had to do a comic scene right away. I have bleach all over my face and rag Waheeda Rehman. How did I do it? Don't ask me."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment