Tuesday 18 April 2023

Sridevi's favourite things: An exclusive with the Queen of Bollywood

Collecting sunglasses from her trips abroad and discovering antique silver jewellery pieces, are her passions. Owning a fleet of cars-a Honda, Fiat, Maruti, Ambassador and a Toyota-she longs to possess a Mercedes. It's not that she can't afford to but...

"Mummy said no, because the roads are so bad and it's not practical," pouts Sridevi. What she doesn't know as yet is that soon, she's going to be presented with one on her birthday. That's one thing she loves presents1 

"My family is always buying me wonderful things, but I never reciprocate! Even on their birthdays, they never receive any gifts from me. I'm just too lazy!"

A shopping complex at T-Nagar, a weekend home on four acres of land, a preview theatre, a three-star hotel... she feels she has it all !

"It's only when you don't have, that you desire more. I've never expected anything from life or anyone. Maybe that's the reason I'm rarely disappointed. I'm happy with whatever fate has given me, because I'm not a greedy person. I have very simple tastes."

Ardent fans, sometimes resort to drastic measures to meet her!

"They place various obstacles on the road, so that my car doesn't zoom past them!"

Some even throw themselves in the way. But the superstar fears for them.

"I don't want them to be lathi-charged by the police." Mobs don't frighten her, as long as they're kept at a safe distance.

To get away from all this frenzied excitement that a mere glimpse of the star causes, she escapes to her farm house, about an hour's drive away from Madras. It's her favourite place. Sprawled across a vast 100 acres of land, and rice fields, coconut trees, chikoo trees and pineapple and vegetable plantations. 

Plus, would you believe, squash courts, swimming pool... It's here that she relaxes. "I envy Lata, when I see her sleeping till late in the mornings while I leave for shooting. Here, I catch up on my sleep and swim in the pool, without feeling any prying eyes on me."

-- Cine Blitz Magazine 1989

You can see the entire cover shoot here in the archives

No comments:

Post a Comment