Saturday 20 July 2024

Boney Kapoor's critique of his own film, Roop Ki Rani Choron Ka Raja: "I knew we had drastically gone wrong..."


Above: Boney Kapoor (film producer), Sridevi (leading lady), Anil Kapoor (actor) and Satish Kaushik (film director) at the last schedule of Roop ki Rani... 
Below: Baba Azmi (cinematographer), Anil Kapoor, Satish Kaushik, Shekhar Kapur, Sridevi and Boney Kapoor at the first schedule of Roop ki Rani Choron Ka Raja.



Boney Kapoor, "I was sure that Roop ki Rani Choron Ka Raja would bomb even while it was being made, I knew we had gone drastically wrong. I actually wanted to shelve it. I told Anil that we were making another Razia Sultan. But nobody was ready to listen to me. They said that Amitabh Bachchan sent a truckload of flowers to Sridevi after seeing the rushes, every word of praise was repeated to me. Eventually, I got carried away. I became indulgent, and expenses mounted because I wanted to have one major highlight in every reel The result was a series of highlights, put together without a soul."
-- Filmfare, January 2000


No comments:

Post a Comment