Friday 30 September 2016

Golden Gal Sridevi in Masterji: Sridevi: "I thought my performance was ordinary. But everybody has been telling me I was terrific."




Masterji was a super hit released in the summer of 1985. The Bollywood romantic comedy film, directed by K. Raghavendra Rao, released on 30 August, 1985. The film stars Rajesh Khanna in the title role as Masterji and Sridevi as his heroine.


Above: Sridevi trying to tantalise Rajesh Khanna in Masterji 

A remake of 1984 Tamil film Mundhanai Mudichu, directed by K. Bhagyaraj, where Bhagyaraj also played the lead male role. After the Tamil version, K. Bhagyaraj decided to remake it in Hindi but handed over directorship to Kovelamudi Raghavendra Rao. K. Bhagyaraj  wrote the story and screenplay for Masterji.

The controversial film was certified as  'A' (as in Adult) for its innuendos and suggestive nature - but by today's standards, the film was tame beyond belief. As an excerpt from from a magazine back in 1985 indicates, the press was already questioning the standards of successful box-office blockbusters.

Lust for Life:
Yes, Sridevi continues to reign supreme. But at what cost? Blatantly vulgar films like Masterji cater to the audience's basest instincts. Should an undoubtedly talented artiste like her stoop to feeding the imagination of the sex-starved, frustrated section of film goers? 

Alpana Chowdhury meets her to discover the criteria by which the Number One actress accepts or rejects a film. 

"I will not, in future, wear revealing outfits as in Masterji"

"My mother was unhappy about the vulgarity in Masterji. But I really didn't realise that what I was doing was vulgar." 




Excerpt from Sridevi's interview with Filmfare, October 1985;

Filmfare: How much satisfaction did you get from the film [Masterji]? What was her [Sridevi's mother's] reaction when she saw the film?
Sridevi: "I thought my performance was ordinary. But everybody has been telling me I was terrific. I am quite surprised with their reaction. My mother however was not pleased. She asked me, 'Why did you do all those vulgar things?' I told her, 'Really, mummy, I didn't realise that what I was doing was vulgar." She sounds so innocent and genuine when she says this, like a little babe lost in the woods, that one can't help overlooking the contradiction in her statements.


What about the dream sequence? Didn't she realise what she was doing even in that scene?

Sridevi: "I don't want to sound like I'm trying to justify myself because I am not at all unhappy for having done the film. But sometimes, the camera work can make certain scenes look more vulgar than what you are actually doing. In the dream sequence they used the zoom which accentuated the vulgarity. Anyway, the film is finished, over. In future I'm not going to to wear any revealing outfits."

Filmfare: Suppose a director insists on it?
Sridevi: "If a director insists I'll be very careful to see if the scenes really demand it. Not as in Masterji."

Filmfare: Is she taking any other precaution to ensure she stays Number One for a long time? What are her criteria for accepting or rejecting a film?
Sridevi: "I am taking no precautions as such. But I feel I should be sincere to my work. Also, I am choosing only good roles - I'm being very particular about that. Of course, sometimes without realising it we do make mistakes.

"My criteria for accepting or rejecting a film? I like to listen to the story. But sometimes the story isn't ready. In which case, I see the director's past record. Recently a known director offered me a Telugu film opposite  Kamal Haasan. So I agreed. But later when he narrated the story I didn't like it. So I've been thinking of withdrawing from this venture."

No comments:

Post a Comment