Monday 26 February 2018

Sridevi's Singing Voice Kavita Krishnamurthy remembers Sridevi

Sridevi was so naughty on screen but so quiet and shy in person, says 'Hawa hawaii' singer Kavita Krishnamurti

| TNN | Feb 26, 2018

Kavita Krishnamurti, "I first saw Sridevi when she briefly visited the recording of Mr India where I did the playback for her. I sang 'Hawa hawaii' and 'Karte hain hum pyar Mr India se'. Both of them, particularly 'Hawa hawaii', attained such stupendous success.

In fact the opening lines of Hawa hawaii were slowly expanded by lyricist Javed Akhtar. It was initially just 'Hawa hawaii'. He came to the studio and added the word Mombasa. Then the 'Lak chik' portion became longer. The final lengthy version is what we recorded that sat on the lips of every Indian despite being such a tongue twister.

click to enlarge

In fact I was not sure that Laxmikant-Pyarelal would retain that song in my voice. I would often dub for them those days. I thought it would be recorded in Asha Bhosle's voice later. But I was so happy when after a few days, I received the good news that my version of 'Hawa hawaii' would be retained in the film.
 

I realised then that I had mispronounced one word! The word was 'janoon' but I had sung 'jeenu'. I called Laxmiji to request him to record again. But he said no, just see the brilliant manner in which Sridevi has enacted the song. It needs nothing more. And it was true. I saw the reel and was floored. Her performance was mind-boggling, the choreography superb.

Mr India became Sridevi's first major success in Hindi films. And what a phenomenal career it turned out to be. She took the world by storm, she became a legend of celluloid.

I went on to sing for many of her films including 'Roop Ki Rani Choron Ka Raja', 'Tera bimar mera dil' in 'Chaalbaaz', 'Jeevan jyot jale' in 'Aulad' and 'Balma tum mere' in 'Nagina'. Our partnership yielded memorable music that helped both our careers.

The best part was that although she was so vibrant and bubbly on screen, she was so gentle, graceful, polite, quiet and shy off screen."

5 comments:

  1. ๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน

    ReplyDelete
  2. ๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน

    ReplyDelete
  3. You meant...off screen in the last sentence...right na Ramajee?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was it really her first major success in Hindi films?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it wasn't. Mr. India was Sridevi's 33rd Hindi film and she already had several blockbusters before that. I think Kavitaji meant it was Kavita's first blockbuster song, not Sri's. Himmatwala, Tohfa, Nagina, Mawaali, Justice Chowdhary etc were all hits that came out long before Mr.India did in 1987.

      Delete