Monday 12 August 2019

Six Sridevi quotes


"I've never stooped to the level of degrading any other actress nor do I like boasting about myself."

"Several big films including Sultanat had flopped before Mr. India. Then again, I had a string of flops before and after Nagina. Until Chandni. So, this has happened throughout my career. I started with a flop called Solva Saawan, remember? Yet, I was welcomed back in Himmatwala. Which again was followed by a flop, Sadma. So what's new?"


Sridevi, MOVIE magazine, October 1993 - read the full feature here. 


"I think of myself as a puppet who carries out the director’s instructions. At times, the role or the director lets you down. But you must do every role with the belief that it’ll be your best performance."

"I have a mental block about playing a... err… prostitute. I know, as an actress, one must try and do as many different roles as possible… phir bhi [but still], I have a block about this. I know actresses have won National Awards by playing such a role…still I couldn’t get myself to do it."

"I feel upset when I have to shoot with animals. The inhuman way in which an animal is made to perform upsets me very much. I try to put my foot down against this. Once we had to do an action sequence and scores of pigeons were required. Some of them even died. That memory gives me the shudders right to this day."

Sridevi, Filmfare magazine, May 1996 - read the full feature here.


"There was an occasion when I actually treated a certain newcomer like a sister and went to the extent of even promoting her, getting her films as a heroine. She used to touch my feet until one film became a hit. Then she changed her tune overnight. Once when we were both shooting on a hill station, she even phoned saying, "I may be shooting close by but I'm too busy to see you." What cheek. Incidentally, I was extremely hurt but I never let her see it."

Sridevi, MOVIE magazine, August, 1992 - read the full feature here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment