Saturday 18 July 2020

Sridevi on working with director Shekhar Kapur

From the Filmfare archives, reporters from the magazine were on the sets of Mr. India, when Sridevi said, "I love working with Shekhar Kapur. His style of direction is great fun. Sometimes when he likes a shot, he prolongs it beyond what was originally intended. he gets totally excited with what he's doing."



On Shekhar's sets it is obvious she's enjoying herself thoroughly. To see a girl who was, till quite recently hampered greatly by the language, bantering un-self consciously with madcap director like Shekhar is amazing. To Shekhar's "This shot is for Shekhar Rao" Sridevi would pose mock-provocatively, flutter her eyelashes and strike a sexy pout, much to the amusement of all around. There is general atmosphere of merry making. But the moment pack-up is announced, she wastes not a moment. doing a quick pranam of dance master Kamal, she scampers off the sets like a schoolchild does when the last bell of the day rings.

Sridevi is also working on another film helmed by Kapur, Joshilay.

"Joshilay is hero oriented but I think my role is a cute one. It's very different. But the film that makes me think and ponder over is Shekhar Kapur's Mr.India. I feel comedy is my forte and of all the films I have in hand only this one gives me scope to reveal my talent in this respect. I love Charlie Chaplin films and I was thrilled when I was asked to impersonate him."

-- Sridevi, Filmfare, October 1, 1985

Sridevi had so much fun working with Shekhar Kapur that in features in the ensuing decade, she listed him in every interview when asked who her favourite directors were (a list that obviously included Yash Chopra, Balu Mahendra among others). 

Meenakshi Sheshadiri revealed in an interview that only on the sets of Joshilay had she seen Sridevi relax and toy with the director by calling him Chandra-Shekharaa! (Quote from her interview here) When in public, Sridevi was shy, reticent, on closed sets however, with people she was comfortable with, full of laughter and fun. 







1 comment:

  1. ๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน

    ReplyDelete