Friday 4 June 2021

Jeetendra on working with Sridevi the first in Himmatwala (1983): The stars appeared in 16 films together

Jeetendra, "I remember the time when we were looking for a suitable girl for Himmatwala, which was a remake of a Raghuvendra Rao's South Indian film that I'd done with Jaya Prada. Jaya was considered, but I preferred to have a new face opposite me. 

A friend of mine had introduced me to Sridevi, who had just done one Hindi film called Solva Saawan. There was something unique about her and, instantly, I decided to approach her regarding Himmatwala. Since Sridevi wasn't doing any Hiudi film and had the required dates, she agreed. 

Jaya Prada was upset with me for taking her [Sridevi] as the female lead in Himmatwala. Eventually, we sorted out the misunderstanding and patched up. I was also very friendly with Rekha since I had worked with her in several films. I remember, when Sri and I were shooting for Himmatwala down South, Rekha too happened to be shooting in the same studio. Each time I'd run into Rekha, during the breaks and intervals, she would rag me by saying, "Don't waste your time talking to me. Jaaeye aapki heroine aapka intezaar kar rahi hogi." [Go your leading lady is waiting for you!] She was so sarcastic. But then, Rekha has always been a prankster, who never means malice. 

Himmatwala was mostly shot in Vijayawada in Andhra Pradesh. I enjoyed working down South. Unlike our directors, the South Indian filmmakers are so organised. They don't waste time catering to the inflated egos of their artistes. They are absolute professionals. They start shooting early and wind up at sharp six in the evening. They stick to their schedules. During the making of Himmatwala, I'd insist on extending the shoot by an hour or so, but he'd just refuse.

Despite doing one shift a day, he finished the entire shooting of Himmatwala within four months. That was the whole beauty and excitement of working with such people. I'd got along with the entire team and my association with them continued for years. I've done more than fourteen films with Raghavendra Rao I'd describe a professional rapport as all about know each other's temperament and the style of working. 

Lots of people tell me that Sridevi and I looked good on-screen. She is an amazing dancer and an astounding actress. I've lost count on the number of films that we did together. Sri is a professional when it comes to work and that's the reason she survived for so many years. She broke the myth that a Hindi film actress has a short career. Himmatwala was not exactly a romantic film, and the songs also weren't mushy. Himmatwala started the trend of the foot-tapping masala numbers. 


All the artistes in the film did a brilliant job. I died laughing each time Kader Khan appeared on screen. I think Kader Khan is the only actor who can play a villain and a comedian at the same time! Amjad Khan's character was different from the image he had because it was for the first time he was playing a villain who wasn't vicious."

- Zee Premiere December 2000

Himmatwala was released on 25 February, 1983. The film is a remake of the Telugu film Ooruki Monagadu (1981). The film proved to be a breakthrough for Sridevi in Bollywood and launched her to superstardom. Himmatwala was a massive commercial success, grossing ₹50 million, becoming the highest grossing Indian film of 1983 as well as one of the ten highest grossing Indian film of 1980s.


No comments:

Post a Comment