Saturday 29 January 2022

TBT: Sridevi Gets back at Madhuri: "Even mimicry artistes ape stars!": Stardust Nov 1994

For the monthly column Court Martial in Stardust, Nov 94, they picked Sridevi for the tough Q&A. Looking at those tell-tale pages now, decades later, its a point to note that Sridevi remains unperturbed, how unnecessarily rude the format of the questioning is (surely there could be more decorum?) and how the 31-year-old actress answered all queries like a good sport - acknowledging box-office duds and admitting to poor selection of films. Compliments didn't go to her head, the criticism she didn't take to heart. 

There are so many interesting quotes here. Sridevi was aware of her detractors, she knew the nature of box-office that it was cyclical and she remained calm. Soon after this interview, Sridevi went on to deliver more hits than flops. By the time of the magazine's publication, Sridevi had already been in the film industry for 23 years and seen the tides ebb and flow - she sailed through like the empress that she was.

Credits: All original photographs Rakesh Shreshta, Outfits by Manish Malhotra. 

Court Martial

The controversy beneath the calm. It's always there. Foaming with the froth of scandal. Raging like a river below the frozen surface.  All you need is the probe of a pick-axe to reach the swirling waters down under. Sridevi is like that. 

Unfathomable and icy. But controversy dogged her nevertheless. Bit it about her 'soft corner' for Akshay Kumar or her callous behaviour towards her filmmakers. Whether it is her race for supremacy against Madhuri and Juhi here or her slinging match against Nagma down South. Whether its her cold-vibes with her co-stars (Sunjay, Salman) or her sky-high price; Sri has always been the centre of debate. Though her cold regalia of disdain sent any 'probers' running for cover. Until now. In this month's Court Martial, when we put her in the dock and dug out all there is. Not one to take things lying down, Sri hit back of course, in her usual scintillating style.


Your reign over the box-office is good as over. Your recent disasters have only proved this point further. In fact, your latest film Chand ka Tukda flopped so badly that it had to be taken off the theatres barely four days after its release. No wonder your detractors insist that the movie should have been titled Amavsya ka Chand instead. Why, even Saawan Kumar who claimed to be your well-wisher at one time was heard complaining that he regretted taking you for that role. Comment. 

Sridevi: Looks like you have really come with the intention of crucifying me. Let me defend myself by saying that no one person makes the film run. It is a whole lot of things that are instrumental in the success of the film. Like for example, the story-line, the direction, the performances of the people in it, etc. How can you say that my reign is over and that I don't have any draw at the box-office anymore? Was I the only person in the film? Chandramukhi and Chand ka Tukda were two major disasters of mine. I did what I was asked to do in the film. But people want to see more than just a dolled up and dancing Sridevi. Frankly speaking, Chand ka Tudka didn't really shape out the way it was supposed to. Saawanji had spent a lot of money on the film but it just didn't show. But I really don't have regrets doing theses films for I quiet enjoyed doing all the fantasy stuff. I think my biggest mistake was that I trusted my directors totally, I hadn't even asked for the entire scripts. I just heard the basic idea and I was content with it. You know, in this industry, it is very easy to ridicule and run down people, specially those going through a rough patch. and yes, I agree that I am going through one of those phases where things are not going exactly in my favour at the box-office. But I have realised that here, people put you on a pedestal only because they can pull you down later. Anyway, what they say doesn't really bother me, for I know what I am all about. Saawanji is not that kind of person to say anything behind a person's back. He is quite forthright that way and I don't think that he has ever said to anyone that he has regretted taking me. He was the one who was very keen in signing me for the film. Anyway, if at all there is anyone who should have any regrets, then it should be me.

You seem to have suffered a major setback in the South too where you ruled the roost till sometime ago. Your big films with major stars like Chiranjeevi, Nagarujna and Venkatesh have been rejected outright by the audiences. younger actresses like Ramya and Nagma have taken over in a big way. The Sridevi magic seems to be fading there too. 

Yes, my films in the South have fared badly, but then again it was due to a wrong choice of roles on my part. The film with Chiranjeevi was a disaster. And people didn't like me in the film only because of my unglamorous look. I played a blind girl in the film and that, the audience didn't accept. There was another film which I had refused to do initially but later, due to some reasons, I did it. That film was Govinda Govinda opposite Nagarjuna. The whole story revolved around the statue of Lord Ayyappa which gets stolen. The film was criticised heavily and I received a lot of flak for doing that role. The film bombed. Later, people came up to me and asked me how I could do such a film being such a staunch devotee of Ayyappa. You see, I admit that I have made a lot of wrong decision in the past that have cost me dear. You know, I refused offers like Baazigar, Mohra and Krantiveer but signed films like Chandramukhi and Chand ka Tukda. But I am happy if other girls are doing well. One should remember that this is an industry and it cannot run on one person. People expect a lot from me and when I don't live up to their expectations, they get very disappointed. But I want to tell them that I am not a magician neither am I super-human. I am just Sridevi.

Nagma is very sore with you for some reason. She has said in print that "I am better off than a Sridevi. Unlike her, I make all my films run." What have you done to her for her to make such snide comments on you?

I don't know why she said this for I haven't given her any reason to do so. Anyway I don't want to talk about her.


Salman khan blames the debacle of Chand ka Tukda on you. He says that you were playing the title role and hence it was your film. Also, isn't it true that during the making of the film he used to make you wait on the sets for hours. All this must have been a great blow to the great Sridevi ego.

Salman Khas in a sweet boy. I don't believe he would say such a thing, but even if he did then he is not wrong. For I was indeed playing the title role and the film revolved around me. As for making me wait on the sets, well, all I can say is that it wasn't anything major. I have an ego like everyone else but then there is nothing so peculiar about it. I am a very patient and professional kind of person who doesn't get too worked up at such small things in life. 

In spite of not doing well professionally, you have still not reduced the price you charge per film. According to many, that is the main reason behind your downfall. No wonder producers shy away from you and you don't have many films on hand now. Those who take a risk and sign you consider you to be a white elephant where the stakes are very high and the returns unsure. Comment. 

I am really very sick and tired of this accusation. Why are people making a big noise bout my price? I am getting the price I am asking for even today. And it is not because of my high price that I don't have films on hand. It's a just that I am being extra-cautious and choosey. Anyway, I have never had a fixed price as such. It has always been flexible. Maybe that is why I have been around for so long. People are still coming to me with offers ready to pay me much more if I sign their films. But I have learnt my lesson and now I will not just sign anything. Let me also clear this thing about high stakes and unsure returns. In this industry, you can't be sure about anything. There is no fixed formula for success. You never know what might run and what won't. Every proposal is a risky proposition out there. So why point fingers at me?

However much you may try to deny it, the fact remains that your fight with Saroj Khan has indirectly affected your career to a certain extent. After the split, Saroj switched loyalties to Madhuri. And she was responsible for giving her some of her most successful dance numbers. Your loss was Madhuri's gain who got the best of choreography. No wonder then you had to eat humble pie and patch up with Saroj. But even that's not helped you.

I wouldn't say that my career was affected by our parting ways. But yes, she is undoubtedly one of the best dance directors we have. Also she has been largely instrumental in giving great life and form to all my songs and dances. I have learnt a lot from her. To begin with, I never had a problem with her. It was Saawanji who had a problem with her during Chand Ka Tukda. And I became the scapegoat. She did go and speak against me in the press. I don't know why she did it. Maybe she thought that I had created the problem or whatever. But we made up almost immediately and even now when we meet each other we are very cordial. Though we have not worked together after that misunderstanding. However, I am looking forward to working with her but then I will work with her only if she devotes all her time to me whilst we are shooting my dance numbers. And not assign one of her assistants to do the job. I know she is an extremely busy woman but then I relate better to her. Also to set the record straight, Saroj was working for Madhuri even when she was working for me. 

Yash Chopra has still not forgiven you after the way you harassed him during the making of Lamhe. No wonder he's not taken you for any of his films after the nightmarish experience. He almost seems to have forgotten your existence. He has even found a good replacement in Juhi Chawla whom he is very comfortable working with. In Darr, he even gave her your Chandni look just to spite you. and after the film's stupendous success, he has indeed proved to you that you are not indispensable.

No one around here is indispensable. Not even me. But I must clarify that I never hassled Yashji during the making of Lamhe. That was one film which I really loved doing. The only reason why we have not worked together again is because after doing two beautiful films like Chandni and Lamhe, we want to do something better. He has told me that the day he has a spectacular script, he will definitely do a film with me. I am happy for Juhi Chawla. She is doing so well. She deserves all the success because she is a very good actress. And if Yashji is making her act like me, it is a big compliment to me. I like it. 

At one time you thought that you were doing newcomers a favour by doing films opposite them. Isn't it true that you were in two minds to do Meri Biwi ka Jawab Nahin opposite Akshay Kumar/ Later you delayed the films by cancelling schedules of the film only because you were not sure about the hero's capabilities. But now, looks like the tables have turned. After Akshay has hit the big time, you want the project to materialise because you feel it will help revive your sagging career. How the mighty have fallen.

In this industry, nobody does anyone a favour. If you are good then people want you, otherise they won't even look at you. Whenever I have signed a film opposite any newcomer, I didn't do it as a favour to any of them. I was never in two minds about signing Meri Biwi a Jawab Nahin opposite Akshay. The film got delayed because the producer changed the earlier director and roped in Pankuj Parasher to direct. After that I met with an accident,  where I slipped and fell injuring myself badly. I was indisposed for some time and one schedule which had combination dates of all the others stars in the film had to be cancelled. Now getting the dates of all of them is quite difficult but then let's see, we are working out something. We all want the project to materialise. 

You are an incorrigible flirt in your very own way. Isn't it true that on the sets of Meri Biwi ka Jawab Nahin you are all the time making eye contact with the hero, Akshay Kumar? And that you have taken a strong liking to Akshay who apparently is quite besotted by you too? You certainly cannot deny this for even the unitwallas swear by this as the garam vibes [hot] between the two of you are pretty evident on the sets.

That sure is a laugh. Do I look like the flirting kind? I don't sit on the sets and make eye contact with Akshay nor do I flirt with him. Its just not me. I am the kind who gives her shot and goes and sits in her make-up room. I hardly interact with any co-stars unless I know them well and since this is my first film with Akshay, I don't really know him. But then, he is very courteous and quite a gentleman. But there is nothing on between the two of us. Believe me.

At one time, when you were at the peak of your career, you had thrown out your faithful secretary Hari Singh quite unceremoniously only because you didn't need his services as you had a lot of films on hand. But of late, when your career seemed to be going downhill, you pleaded with him to work for you once again. Comment. 

Yes, we had a minor problem after which I felt a little uncomfortable working with Hari Singh so we decided to part ways mutually. After which we did not meet and speak to each other cordially. There was no bad blood. If there was, would he have worked for me again? We share a very professional relationship and he is very good at his work. Also, I have re-employed his services not because I am out of work or whatever, but because I had got a little disorganised with all my busy schedules. 

Sanjay Dutt finds you very reticent and cold-hearted. Through the making of Gumrah you were very indifferent to him. Apparently, you would often keep him waiting on the sets endlessly. No wonder the otherwise friendly Sunju is so put off with your starry attitude that the very mention of your name gets a frown on his forehead.

See, like I said earlier, I am a person who doesn't mingle much. I admit that I didn't communicate much with Sunju but then I am like that with everybody. I didn't know him very well. Even during the making of the film, we barely spoke but for small talk. You know, I really don't know what to talk to people  I am not too friendly with. As for keeping him waiting, I didn't do it deliberately. There must have been some legitimate reasons for the same. 

You desperately wanted to do a film with David Dhawan. You had even met and discussed a proposal with him but after the debacle of Andaz, you backed out of the project saying that he was a crude director.

I did meet David Dhawan and we even spoke of working together. But nothing was finalised as he is presently very busy with his other films. I don't recall calling him crude or whatever. I am still looking forward to working with him. 

Madhuri Dixit did a take-off on you in Khalnayak. Also she feels that she is in a league of her own as you fall into the older bracket. Do you hold some sort of a grudge on her because a lot of people consider her to be the new Number One? Comment. 

I've heard about this but to be honest, I've not seen Khalnayak. I think that is perfectly alright. She is a professional actress and I suppose that she did what her director asked her to do. She is not the only one to do it. A lot of other stars also imitate the distinct styles of prominent stars. What's the big deal if she did a take-off on me? Even mimicry artistes are aping stars all the time. It is their profession. But frankly speaking, I'd never do it. 

Shahrukh too for some reason is very put off with you. Recently he was heard saying that he would rather work with a Madhuri or a Kajol than put up with your starry tantrums. What is it about you that people prefer keeping their distance from you?

This is news to me that Shah Rukh doesn't want to work with me. I knew that Ajay Devgan had said that he would never work with me. I wanted to call up Ajay and clear up that Khuda Gawah controversy where I was supposed to have asked the producer to replace Ajay with Nagarjuna. This was all totally false. But then, I was in two minds. I didn't know how he would react to my call. Well, someday I hope to clear up this misunderstanding too. Whether we work together or not, only time will tell. 

You are accused of troubling Vinod Mehra the maximum during the making of Gurudev. The poor man had to literally chase you around for your dates. He was literally at your mercy since you played a double role in the film. How could you treat him so shabbily?

I would neve ever dream of hurting somebody as endearing as Vinod Mehra. He was a perfect gentleman. In fact, since I was doing a double role in the film, I was the first to complete most of my work. In fact, even after his sad demise, I co-operated totally when they wanted some more dates of mine. You could ask Kiran Mehra if you don't believe me.

-- Writer Harish Kumar, Stardust, Nov 1994

TBT to the days of buying two copies of any magazine that had Sridevi on the cover - in case one copy got damaged! Rs 15! 







2 comments:

  1. The 'sick'ular journalist is harassing her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how a person can be so patient and kind to such a mean and rude journalist. Only Sridevi can do this.

    ReplyDelete