Tuesday 10 September 2024

Defiant Sridevi on Marriage: TBT to 1988 Stardust

Sridevi in Jaag Utha Insaan (1984)


Sridevi seemed to be very emphatic about what she wanted. I reminded her of what she had said barely a year ago of marrying the man her mother chose for her. Would she still do it? I asked teasingly. 

Sridevi blushed and brushed it away. “I don’t remember saying anything of the sort!” 

I let that pass. If she chose to feign amnesia on that subject who was I to protest. Besides she has the freedom of changing her mind with every interview. 

“I believe in marriage. But I don’t believe in marrying just for the sake of it. There has to be love also. I have to love the man I marry.” 

But what if her mother, whom she insists she is closest to, objects to the man she chose? 

“I will see to it that she is convinced of the eligibility of the man I intend to marry. I care for her opinion, but I also have to see to it that I take care of my own future happiness. After all, it’s I who have to live with the man I marry and not they,” she said, sounding almost defiant. Wondering if she had said something she shouldn’t be saying, she quickly added, “But of course I shall see to it that they will understand my point of view.” 

Sridevi further hastened to insist that she was not being rebellious. “I’m so fortunate that I have such lovely, understanding parents. I’ve seen so many actresses who have been tortured and forced by their mothers (or fathers) to do all sorts of things. I consider myself lucky when compared to them.” 

-- Sridevi, Stardust Magazine 1988

No comments:

Post a Comment