Wednesday 6 May 2020

The Mithun - Sridevi saga, according to Mithun: And Bollywood Tabloids: Unrequited love in Bollywood in the 1980s!

TBT: Filmfare, Nov 1984. A snippet on the alleged romance between the two mega stars of Bollywood in the early 980s, Sridevi and Mithun Chakraborthy.

Much tabloid ink was spilled over the alleged romance between the stars but both denied it and stuck to their guns till the very end. All we have now is tabloid gossip lingering in the guise of confirmed news.

For the record, we don't think they ever married - in the eyes of the law or lord - and we have... nothing else to say about it.

However, actor Mithun does. Well, he did back in 1984;




The Mithun-Sridevi rumour is almost at its peak according to Mithun. "I'm not saying anything," he laughs, "because I've been this way before. In the gossip mags, it starts off with attraction, then seeing each other, visiting one another's location, getting married, finally they have two children and then they split. It's all very very routine."

And yet he adds seriously, "What worried me is that I have met Sridevi's entire family. They are an orthodox, well-brought up sort of family and I wonder how they react to the talk that I have even bought a bungalow for her. It's okay for me. I'll survive all this but what about her?"

According to Mithun the rumours started when he likened Sridevi to Vyjanthimala and then added that he had a crush on the latter.  "A lot was read into my statement," he complains. "Sridevi and I have worked together only in one film,  Jaag Utha Insaan, and we became good friends on location in Guntur, The way I am with everybody. we would all get together (he, Rakesh Roshan, K. Vishwanath) and have fun. Sridevi would often join in. I think she's a wonderful person, a terrific actress and nothing, least of all rumours, linking her with me, will make me change my opinion. The last time I met her, was on the last day of shooting of Jaag Utha Insaan. After that I have been out of town and out of the country very often. So where's the question of our meeting?"







Excerpt from Filmfare Jan 1986; 

After struggling for more than a decade, why is he now allowing trivial factors to influence his career? Reportedly, he stopped signing films with Sridevi because of what we journalists had written about him. How could he lose the opportunity to star opposite the most in demand leading lady when everybody else was dying to work with her?

"I am working with each and every heroine. I don't bother about who my heroine is. Ultimately it's the film that runs. So I'm not dying to work opposite her, like you say others are. But let me clarify, it was not me who did the refusing. It was she who made this decision. When I heard that she had withdrawn her name from three films I got the message. So even I started discouraging producers from casting us together. It doesn't make any difference to me if we do films together, or we don't. I don't feel flattered or anything like that to be cast opposite her.

"But now we are doing a film for Gaffar Nadiadwala. When he asked me if I had any preservations. I said 'No' because he had got the okay form her. I will never shoot the gun from her shoulder. If others are doing ti they are welcome to do so." 


Above: the Mithun and Sridevi cold war on set.

Oh! What a Lovely War! 

One thing you have to credit Lady No.1 is professionalism. Despite all those stories about Mithun Chakraborty and all her denials and the subsequent cooling-off, Sridevi is doing two films (A.F. Nadiadwala's yet untitled film and Guru) - even though they give the impression of not being on talking terms.

But as n inebriated lyricist put it at the Guru mahurat bash: "See, Mithun is still desperate to marry Sridevi. But her mother's threatened to disown her. So she doesn't look at him any more and he's just hoping for a change of heart. After all, Hema Malini also kept Dharmendra waiting for years., didn't she?" And you wish lyricists wouldn't babble too much after whiskey. If Mithun and Sridevi look too romantic in these pics taken on the sets of Nadiadwala's film, it's because they are both good performers!


Some of sooooooooo many tabloid headlines from the Sridevi and Mithun Chakraborty chronicles.... 


Star & Style, the cheaper tabloid version of Stardust - had a field day with the Sridevi and Mithun saga. 

Left: Sridevi's alleged quote on the entire biz. Published in Cine Blitz in 1988. I... have sincere doubts about the veracity of the quote, the nameless 'journalist' and the frank and forthcoming statement that seems very unlike the perennially shy Sridevi that most fans know of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment